was (adjective)

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

was (adjective)

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:03 pm

I was in a shop selling sports (OK, -ish) clothing today, buying a few mid-layer fleeces in the sale.

There was a notice that mentioned 'pre-sale-discounted prices (ie was-prices)'. I mentioned this to the salesperson, then spent ten minutes explaining that I was remarking on the English usage rather than complaining about obscurantist sales-spiel. She then explained that they use a box labelled 'was' into which to throw price-labels that are being replaced by those showing sale prices.

I'm not sure whether this constitutes folk-etymology or not, but it's fun.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: was (adjective)

Post by PhilHunt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:43 pm

I've seen 'was' used before as a noun. For example, the gloomy British singer Morrissey wrote a song called "Now I am a was".

I'm quite sure I've heard 'was' used as an adjective. For example, on hearing some old news that you may think is new, the listener could retort, "that's such was news."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:17 pm

.. WoZ is, of course, unarguably a noun ..
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:05 pm

...if ever, oh ever a wiz there WoZ...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC