He's friends with her.

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

He's friends with her.

Post by PhilHunt » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:19 pm

A student of mine pointed out the strangeness of the following sentence, "he's friends with her".
She asked why the plural noun was used with a singular verb. To my mind it is because of the implied complementary relationship (They are both friends), but it led me to think; why can't this be done with other nouns in such a construction?
For example, the following would sound incorrect:

He's brothers with him.
She's lovers with him.

However, I'm unsure as to whether the following would be incorrect or not:

He's students with her.
She's colleagues with him.

Does anyone have any views or advice on this?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Re: He's friends with her.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:13 pm

All except the 'friends' variant are distinctly non-standard. However, I have no theory to explain why 'friends' is different to the others.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 pm

I'm sure I've come across 'mates with', and it exists on the Internet, but it's probably mimicry.

The unusualness of the syntax affords it ('friends with') idiomatic status in the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. It's certainly ill-formed.

Perhaps it's a conversion from friendly with. Via in cahoots with. And then make friends with. And Shergar and Red Rum.

If we can extend the pronoun-replacement test to link verbs:

"He's a Mirbanian, you know."

"Are you sure he's one?"

friends with fails spectacularly:

"He's friends with Driftwood, you know!"

*"Are you sure he's them with him?"

Make friends with also fails this test, and some would argue that it's best not to consider it as a verb + direct object + the with part of a with-phrase but a three-word verb synonymous with befriend.

But there is a slight degree of flexibility - "best of friends with" is also used.

I'm planning on sneaking a few 'enemies with's and then an 'arch-enemies with' or two into the public domain in the near future. I seem to remember having done the former a while back.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:55 am

Ed sed:

I'm sure I've come across 'mates with', and it exists on the Internet, but it's probably mimicry.
.. why is it mimicry anymore than any other "he's X with Y .. but that construction is common in Australia probably because we use mate so much more intently .. also >> partners, pals, team mates, colleagues (?), buddies all work ..

.. these words all share the quality of having a social relationship with the person ..

WoZ who is cobs with Bob
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:07 pm

He's mates with. He is pals with. Perfectly reasonable. In fact, "Chums with" used to be an option, but with the meaning of "chum" changing the was it has, I suppose we will hear even less of it in the future.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:30 pm

Wizard of Oz wrote:Wiz sed:

.. why is it mimicry anymore than any other "he's X with Y ..
Indeed - I'd say that the related expressions you list are probably all formed by deliberate or perhaps subconscious echoing of what was almost certainly the first to appear - didn't you call this process snowcloning?*

He's useless with children will require a different analysis.

* On the SW US National Parks Hol Catherine and I were privileged to go on, the tour guide was bemoaning the advent of the digital camera and the fact that rank amateurs could now produce half-decent images (he'd been a semi-pro photographer in a different era): "It's not proper photography - when you can get your computer and totally change what you actually saw. You don't have to be professional anymore."

To which Peter (who seemed able to operate a still camera and a camcorder simultaneously in his quest for the moths of Utah) replied: "Digital is the new professional."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:47 am

.. Ed I didn't know it snowed in Utah !!

WoZ who has gone digital
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:02 am

The Clone Ranger's from even further south.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:16 pm

I've found a few interesting variations which I think support the argument that they are all extensions or 'mimicry' of 'they are friends' that Edwin put forward.

We would never say:
1) "He is brothers with him."

..but we might say:
2) "He was blood-brothers with him."

In fact, I have found a few examples of 2) being used. The more standard form would, or course, be 'he was a blood-brother with him', but the non-standard 2) does not grate the ears as much as example 1). This suggests a psychological acceptance of the 'is friends' usage even if it is not technically acceptable.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:28 pm

Phil, I think a similar case can be made in UK English for:

*He was buddies with her
He was best buddies with her

I think both forms would be accepted in the USA.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by hsargent » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:18 am

Is there an implied difference...

He is friends with her.

vs.

He is a friend of her's.

Look how the possessive came in to play and the preposition had to change. The first is referring to a group of friends and the second is one on one.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC