Teasing by cell phones

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Teasing by cell phones

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:19 am

- What phrase or word do you use when someone call you by his or her cell phone / homephone for a few seconds and then hang up the phone ? He or she does this several times. He or she does this to bother or tease you. :)

Thanks so much!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Teasing by cell phones

Post by zmjezhd » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:41 am

Stalking?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:21 am

Although I've never heard of that particular one, practical jokes played over the phone are known as "prank calls" or "crank calls". I guess your example would fit into that category, even if it doesn't really seem that funny :-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:44 am

I would term that a nuisance call.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by hsargent » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:34 pm

With Caller ID, I would refer to this as history.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:07 am

.. harry caller ID doesn't work if the caller doesn't want it to .. on a mobile it just registers as anonymous with no call back .. or on home phones it can be blocked by the caller simply by using a public phone .. I always like the one of having a very shrill whistle that you blast down the phone if the person doesn't answer your 2nd hello ..

WoZ on the whistle
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by hsargent » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:46 pm

Actually Caller ID does work. If it says UNKNOWN, I don't answer it!

Harry .... screening calls!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:50 pm

.. harry you are a very strong man !!! .. unfortunately I am unable to allow a phone to ring and not be answered .. if it rings I HAVE to answer it and as quickly as I can get to the phone ..

WoZ waiting for a call
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by hsargent » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:55 pm

WOZ,

Do you get solicitations in England? That plus people whom I don't want to speak to.

This also allows people who are calling my wife to leave a message on the recorder rather than me having to take notes (and remember to tell her).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:37 am

.. harry not sure what you mean by >> "Do you get solicitations in England?" ..

.. one of the best things that the government has done in Aus is to organise the Don't Call register .. this has gone a long way to saving both my sanity and preventing me being arrested for abusing somebody over the phone .. it does work too ..

WoZ on the register
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Lanfear » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:40 pm

By 'solicitations' do you mean telesales callers - those who try to sell products over the phone?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC