Can't say the same

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Can't say the same

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:48 pm

A: I don't like black people. They always do bad things.
B: You can't say the same for everybody. I also do not like racists.

- Do these sound natural?

Thanks so much!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Can't say the same

Post by PhilHunt » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:48 pm

"You don't/can't speak for everyone as I also don't like racist"
The use of 'also' would mean that you agree with the first person's statement as well as disliking racists.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:39 pm

I think what Steven means by "You can't say the same for everybody" is "Not all black people do bad things".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:10 am

- Dear Erik_Kowal and Philhunt!

- What I mean by "You can't say the same for everybody" is "Not all black people do bad things". So it's not natural to say? :)

Thanks a lot!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:56 am

.. gidday Steve .. how does this sound ?? >>

A: I don't like black people as they always do bad things.
B: You can't say the same for everybody. They don't all do bad things. I also do not like racists.

WoZ who takes each person at face value
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:17 am

STEVENSAKURA wrote:So it's not natural to say?
That is correct -- it would not be the natural way to express the meaning you intend.

A form of words that is a little closer to your original wording but still conveys your intended meaning is "You can't say the same thing about all of them". You could also say "That is not true of all black people".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Lanfear » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:54 pm

If you cannot tar all of the people in one group with the same brush, then can you dislike all racists?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:15 pm

Reading "In Westminster Abbey" convinces me that Sir John Bitumen did.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC