Dishes are very tasty

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Dishes are very tasty

Post by STEVENSAKURA » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:58 am

- I have a friend named Jennifer. She has long hair, sexy lips and big breast. Her dishes are very tasty. We have a lot of similar interests. Last month she went abroad to study. Sometimes we chat on yahoo messenger.

- Are these sentences ok to say write? by the way I do not mean anything bad by "breast" here :)

Thanks so much!

StevenSakura
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Dishes are very tasty

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:44 am

Steve said:

by the way I do not mean anything bad by "breast" here
.. let's get this one out of the way first Steve .. if you're talking about big brests and sexy lips you certainly ain't talking to your dear old grandmother .. I don't see anything "bad" in big breasts but there is a whole lobby who will disagree .. now on to your sentences >>

I have a friend named Jennifer. >> (ok by me)

She has long hair, sexy lips and big breasts. >> (Steve unless Jennifer has had a partial mastectomy, ie the removal of one breast, she will have breasts .. they come in twos so therefore plural)

Her dishes are very tasty. >> (Steve I have a problem with dishes .. I know what you mean but when we are speaking about how well somebody cooks we would be inclined to say >> Her cooking is very tasty. or She cooks very tasty dishes.)

We have a lot of similar interests. >> (ok by me BUT would be better if you said, We share a lot of similar interests .. there are some people who would tell you that similar interests is a tautology but I find it ok)

Last month she went abroad to study. >> (ok by me)

Sometimes we chat on yahoo messenger. >> (ok by me)

.. however Steve I would change the overall passage in the following way >>

I have a friend named Jennifer who has long hair, sexy lips and big breasts. Her cooking is very tasty. I find that we share a lot of interests. Last month she went abroad to study so now we keep in touch by chatting on yahoo messenger.

.. Steve the other thing to understand about this passage is that there are people who would find the following sentence, "I have a friend named Jennifer who has long hair, sexy lips and big breasts.", to be in bad taste or even offensive ..

WoZ who has long hair, sexy lips and a beard
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by trolley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:54 am

" by the way I do not mean anything bad by "breast" here "
Tell us what you do mean and maybe someone could steer you in the right direction. As far as her tasty dishes go, you should probably just say she's a good cook. Dishes certainly can mean the food she serves but when you say her dishes, I get this mental image of you eating her chinaware.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:04 pm

You can share common interests (I like oranges and she likes oranges) which are interests you both have in common, but I don't think you can share "similar interests" because they are actually different interests (I like oranges and she likes tangerines).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by hsargent » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:36 pm

There is nothing wrong with breasts; however, it is interesting in feeling the need to describe the lady and honing into just these three physical characteristics and cooking skills.

You could have used attractive rather than big breasts assuming they are attractive versus excessively large.

Personality?

Petite?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by trolley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:51 pm

It was Steven's use of the singular form (and his disclaimer) that had me thinking he might not mean big hooters. Something could have been a little garbled in the translation.
From Merriam Webster's Online Dictionary:
breast:
3 : the seat of emotion and thought : bosom
bosum:2 a : the chest conceived of as the seat of the emotions and intimate feelings <a story you will take to your bosom> b : the security and intimacy of or like that of being hugged to someone's bosom <the bosom of her family>
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 pm

So, in the same way Steven is actually intending to say Jennifer has a big heart, he is also telling us Jennifer is a tasty dish. As usual, something is lost/gained in the translation.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Lanfear » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:51 pm

In my opinion, to say that her dishes are tasty directly after referring to her big breasts makes it sound like a double entendre. I would go with another form, unless Jennifer has a great sense of humour.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:03 pm

Maybe Jennifer likes to wear a breastplate.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC