written entirely words one syllable

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by dalehileman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:57 pm

I had written a book of some 77,000 words entirely in one syllable (except for the footnotes) and thought it might be terrific promotionally to enter it in the Guiness World Book of Records, but they advised me they couldn't consider it because it was the only one of its kind

Subsequently, however, I did read somewhere that back in the days of Alice in Wonderland there was in fact another children's book so written, and so I do after all have some competition. But when I Googled the phrase above hoping to find its title, alas I got better than a half-million hits

Recently, hoping Guiness might have recently opened this as a new category I reapplied but when I went to their site I found that even to talk to them you now have to send them $250 and so for an old guy on a fixed income I might as well just give up

But then it occurred to me that if one of your guys on WW couldn't give me a reading on this nobody could. Even better, if one of you in the Industry has an In with Guiness by which one might skirt all the initial folderol, you might even better able to help me out

My book is entitled "The World as Told to the Young Man in Short Words" and purports to explain the Universe to the male youngster, a tome I wish there had been one such in my preteens

Guys thanks at least for reading my query and thanks for all your help in the past with nearly everything
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:17 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by dalehileman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:32 pm

Phil thanks most kindly for that link narrowing it down to only 40,000 Ghits. I allow that's a much better entry but now does anyone know how to get through to Guiness without an extra $250 at his disposal

What I can't understand incidentally why faced with my brilliant contribution Guiness couldn't have done the very same thing. Surely all those books hadn't been written after I first applied. Do I understand, then, that not only is it necessary to enter your own but you also have to identify some arbitrary number of competitors, and would I have to specify the number of words in each one? as such a requirement might keep a fellow busy 24/7 for three years

Surely faced with a supposedly new record we can expect them to do just a little research without us having to pay them for goodness sake

If by the slightest chance one of you Guiness fellows might happen to stumble upon this thread I would like to hear from you, while I am dalehileman@verizon.net
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:50 pm

If you bother to read the first few hits and add two and two together, you come up with several authors who have written such books.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by dalehileman » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:44 pm

Phil indeed and I gathered as much and again thank you though as I mentioned I'm reluctant to make an exhaustive study with such discouragement as I've met from Guiness.

I suspect they're overwhelmed by applications and have instituted the $250 charge as well as any other excuse that seems plausible, in order to dig their way out from under it all, as in the past they would accept nearly anything as a record and meantime have learned that idiots like myself will do almost anything for recognition. The number of clear marbles that can be placed on a flat concrete surface measuring 5 ft by 6 ft. The number of colored marbles that can be so placed. The number that can be placed in a rectangle 5 ft by 7 ft; 6 ft by 7 ft

In the recesses of my wild imagination though I envisage an actual Member of its Board somehow becomes privy to my grievance and sets his underlings to work determining the length of each such book, requesting a copy of mine, making the comparison, and determining that I have indeed set the record, whereupon dozens of publishing houses throughout the Nation descend upon me begging for first rights
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:30 am

If it's true that people "will do almost anything for recognition", it seems quite reasonable to me that the publishers of the Guinness Book of Records would introduce a moderately painful obstacle into the process -- specifically, their $250 fee -- simply in order to avoid being overwhelmed by the insatiable demands of crackpot publicity-mongers. It is a classic example of the use of price as a mechanism for regulating the demand for a particular commodity or service.

Also, wouldn't your book actually need to be published in order to qualify for a record? Otherwise anyone could simply use some kind of computer algorithm (to use one of your favourite terms) to generate a manuscript of any desired length in order to establish a record or to beat a previous one.

That would seem consistent with the spirit of the Guinness book as being a celebration of achievement rather than an indiscriminate compilation of feats of mediocrity and merit in equal measure. A record set by a book that is commercially viable, or at least publishable, is surely more worthwhile than one set, say, by a computer-generated manuscript that no-one would ever want to read.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by dalehileman » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:48 pm

"Also, wouldn't your book actually need to be published...."

Erik that's a very good point and alas one that hadn't occurred to me, in which case my entire thread would be moot. But I guess it's one of WW's purposes to call attention to the perspicuous

In my own defense the only way to entirely avoid making mistakes is to do nothing at all
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:12 pm

I'd think WW's higher purpose is to draw all toward perspicuity rather than to draw attention to the perspicuous.
I'd also think there is no need to defend oneself, for having trowelled and arrowed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: written entirely words one syllable

Post by MamaPapa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:59 pm

I commend your efforts, Dale. I occasionally pick up the GBOWR and believe accomplishments such as yours would be very interesting to read about. I also like your "marbles" analogy and have often thought "what a waste of time" on some of the more obscure records. Case in point, the current record for "entering a sleeping bag [head first] with the greatest number of rattlesnakes", "entering a sleeping bag [feet first] with the greatest number of rattlesnakes", etc.

Admin: I like the new styles and colors all at my fingertips!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Mama

Re: written entirely words one syllable

Post by Forum Admin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:03 pm

MamaPapa wrote:Admin: I like the new styles and colors all at my fingertips!
I shall turn them off immediately.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC