Training for schools

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Training for schools

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:24 pm

There is a truly shocking story running in Wales at the moment concerning a group of young people who have hanged themselves in Bridgend, a town about halfway between where I live and Cardiff. You can read the BBC report here.

However distressed the headline writer was, there is no excuse whatsoever for using the strap Suicide training call for schools. Where was the proofreader?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Training for schools

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:22 pm

Sadly, he is no longer with us.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Training for schools

Post by Forum Admin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:52 pm

In the days when I was a teacher, I would have made it compulsory and sent half my class. On reflection, I suspect that after my lessons they would have willingly attended.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Forum Administrator and Site Administrator

Training for schools

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:57 am

Interesting. I suppose we'll never know how many little Hitler or Bush wannabes you may unwittingly have headed off for the greater good before they reached, um, maturity. One must take the holistic view in such matters.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Training for schools

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:13 am

Michael Quinion's email newsletter for 2 February 2008 contains the following item:

"Bram Amsel was listening to the BBC from Antwerp. "An MP from an area in South Wales that has suffered a group of recent suicides said she and others were working on a solution to the problem. She probably meant well when she said that 'Suicide is the last thing you should do when you're feeling depressed.'" But isn't that the problem?"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Training for schools

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:43 am

National Nine News, Saturday Feb 16 09:00 AEDT
Two cousins have been found hanged in Bridgend, the south Wales town rocked by a spate of teenage suicides in the past year.
Their deaths bring the suicide toll in Bridgend to 16.
.. Bob it is an extremely worrying series of events for your part of the World .. unfortunately the officials don't seem to have grasp what is happening yet ..
South Wales and Bridgend officials have played down any connection to websites and said they did not believe the two apparent suicides were linked.
.. however local teens pointed out ..
((names)) lived 14 houses apart and friends were quoted by the Mail as saying they were "very close". One of ((name))'s internet friends was quoted as saying: "I know seven of the people who have killed themselves.
.. fortunately there is a voice of knowledge if only it can rise above the damage control spin of the local officals ..
Dr Jonathon Scourfield, a lecturer in social sciences, said cultural and social influences were influential in the decision to commit suicide.
"The more stories that appear about young people having killed themselves in your area, the more it might appear to you to be a reasonable response to a particular kind of crisis," he said.
.. this kind of social network connection was throughly researched in South Australia over a decade ago and found to very influential in the decision making of adolescents ..

WoZ of Aus 17/02/08
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:57 pm

It has all come a bit closer to home I'm afraid. The girl, one of the two cousins that WoZ mentioned was a friend of my daughter.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:08 pm

My comments above were too flippant. I apologise.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:31 pm

Phil, someday there will be a publication "The Wit and Wizdom of the WordWizards". If we have to watch what we say it will never be written.

I was not offended by your post, and your apology, although not at all required is nevertheless appreciated.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by Shelley » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Your daughter must be very upset. Do your best, Bob-Dad. Remind your daughter that she could never have prevented her friend's action.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC