Does English have an "accent mark" ( ¨ ) ??

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:59 pm

I miss the serif as well, does Ill mean unwell or 3?

Mind you, I don't use them often when I am using a pen either! My real problem is getting the Tippex off the screen when I get MS wigglies.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:47 pm

Originally posted by BobinwalesMy real problem is getting the Tippex off the screen ...
I used to laugh at that joke until I used a highlighter pen on mine. Straight.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by haro » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:07 pm

Tony, I wouldn't call Helvetica elegant. It's a headline font, so it's meant to hit one in the eye. That's what it does fairly well. Using it as a bread-and-butter type is mere abuse, though. And Arial cemented that abuse by gleefully ignoring even the most fundamental rules of typography.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing a genuine Greek text with a diaresis on a capital vowel. Maybe I can learn something new.
Post actions:
Signature: Hans Joerg Rothenberger
Switzerland

Post by paulwiggins » Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:52 am

We're straying into an area for visualeditors.com but the helvetica family is one of the most readable sans serif options in the armoury for print, thus its popularity. The jury is still out on the best web type
Post actions:

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:16 am

In olden days, Wanted posters were easily legible due to the Serif of Nottingham. The major drawback (yes - there were strings attached) was that most people at that time were sans reading skills.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:04 am

Edwin, you are a true font of information -- a New Century Schoolbook, if you will.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:15 pm

When I came across "Solstice of Suffering", I considered suing - they'd copied my handwriting.
Post actions:

End of topic.