We need to talk about Kevin. Lionel Shriver.

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Post by Tony Farg » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:21 am

I've just finished this, and now I can, I hope, regain my composure.
It is a very disturbing book about a teenager who massacres some of his schoolmates (yes, in the USA) and others.
It reveals his family background in glimpses along the way, and allows one to draw some conclusions as to why Kevin made the choices he did.
Whether there is any comparison with other, real, deranged teenagers I would not know, but Lionel Shriver guides us to think about some of the influences on us all...the media, the celebrity-worship culture, and about relationships and parenting.
The book was apparently awarded the Orange Prize for Fiction; I found it a compelling read, but my wife had to stop reading it for a while to take a break from its awfulness.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:43 am

I can't help being struck by the fact that when an ordinary individual does something heinous society rushes to make that person accountable, whereas when you're a president or a prime minister you can do worse things by far and still be worshipped as a hero, even in a so-called democracy.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:30 am

TF,
"parents" allowing children to be in control is the whole problem. Of course, children are just doing their jobs when they push the limits and try to break the rules in order to find out what exactly they are, but when parents do not limit them, and do not discipline them, they become incredibly angry. They have been handed control when they are certain that they can not handle the responsibility.

The parents should be punished for the crimes of their children!

I can't imagine reading such stuff when one trip to the grocery store is usually more of the subject than one should have to take. But, if any parents learn this one lesson through the book, it deserves a prize.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:40 am

Gee. Hm. Sounds like a real fun read, Tony!
Well, I just happen to have this book on my shelf, so . . .

Yikes.
I just finished it. Pretty intense. Relentless, you might say. A couple of people recommended other books by this author -- she's good. Lionel Shriver. Think I'll read some cheery non-fiction now -- something lighthearted like In Cold Blood!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:53 am

Shelley, If you really want something to cheer you up try The Road by Cormac McCarthy - it's on the New York Times best sellers list. It's a lighthearted father and son romp across post nuclear holocaust America. My book group made me read it and it took me about a week to recover from the experience. As a teaser, check out these Amazon reviews.

Cheers,

Ken - January 26, 2008
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:42 am

According to Jacob Weisberg, the first person to bring us the Bushism, we need to talk about Dubya.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC