Zen by Osho...

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Zen by Osho...

Post by dalehileman » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:05 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Its-History-a ... 0681153172

(1) Interesting from a historical perspctive but doesn't it weaken much of the rest of his entire works when at the start of this book he claims, much as do the Scientologists, that vegetation thinks and feels: "Plants are telepathic" says he

(2) Osho among others claims that Zen is neither a religion nor a philosophy. What is it

(3) Is it possible they're just trying to put it over on us, that Zen is pure nonsense. As with Scientology (and arguably, almost all religion) the individual might gain a feeling of detachment if not fulfilment and happiness purely through a process of autosuggestion

In the latter connection one might also read The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James

(4) Erik, thank you for your continuing interest in improving the site Your efforts have made WW more logical and easier to navigate than any other such forums I have used. Respectfully suggest, however incidentally, that next time housekeeping is underataken "Beyond Words" or at least "Oh, and..." posts be listed on Home Page because I assume that's where most participants link to
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:32 pm

Dale, I'm not sure exactly what you are referring to. The design of the site is the result of consultation that has taken place between all the administrators and the owner of the site. By far the greatest input has come from Phil White. Not only is he the architect of the site, but all the the programming required has been done by him. Indeed, even as I write this Phil is working on a substantial site redesign that will offer more functionality to its users.

We have noted your suggestion and will consider whether to adopt it as part of the redesign.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Zen by Osho...

Post by dalehileman » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:51 pm

Erik thank you for that, I suppose I should have addressed Phil with the suggestion.

Incidentally, this morning I have made several attempts to post a link to this thread in Comments and Suggestions... and also Miscellaneous. I was apparently successful but when I check out and reboot, these links are missing, as if somehow deleted in the meantime. Is it somehow wrong to use a link to a different forum, and if so why

If you could Fwd this thread to Phil I'd be much indebted--again thank you kindly for your excellent site, good works, and patience
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:31 pm

Dale, those threads were indeed deleted, in the interest of not cluttering up the site with needlessly repetitive material: no-one else wants to see the same posting appearing in three or four different forums.

If you feel that the content of a posting merits including it in more than one forum, I suggest you split it up accordingly and post each of the new threads where you consider it most belongs.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Zen by Osho...

Post by dalehileman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:20 pm

Erki: Alas, I am such a bad person

But I have copied the pertinent paragraph from "Oh, have..." to "Misc," where I'm sure somebody will read it by virtue of its appearance on the home page. Accordingly please feel free to delete this thread--thank you--Dale
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by dalehileman » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:32 pm

Erik, forgive an old coot on the verge of Alzheimer's, but by "this" thread I meant not the one I had started in Misc, but the one we're using now in Oh, have....
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:08 pm

Maybe you did, but since your posting seemed to be mainly a book review, or at least a set of complaints about a book, I judged that this was the most appropriate forum for it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by dalehileman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:27 pm

You're absolutely right about that, but see how few participants compared to forums listed on Home Page
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:49 pm

That could also be related to the inherent interest value of a particular posting.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by dalehileman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:31 pm

You could be quite right. So why don't we move it to Misc and see
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:10 pm

I don't see your point. The inherent value or interest of a posting is not a function of the category it is placed in, but of the content of the posting.

This forum already has the 'Active Topics' function to ensure that it is the topics in which its participants have actively shown their interest that are displayed preferentially in the forum area, regardless of the heading they appear under. Also, the forum's regular users are far more likely to enter the Wordwizard site via a bookmark that takes them straight to the forum area, not to the site's home page.

It is therefore probable that if nobody responds to your posting(s), the issue is not one of categorization.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by dalehileman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:22 pm

Indeed, could well be. I for one had entirely forgotten about that link as it's somewhat lost amongst the others at the top of a page that not everyone uses. Respectfully suggest, therefore, that when you next perform housekeeping, if it isn't feasible to list more of the forums on Home Page, you instead move this link there, displaying it prominently, where it will get the attention it deserves

Perhaps you could Fwd this thread to Phil, and thanks again to the both of you for a site that is in most all ways better that many others of its type, keep up the good works
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by dalehileman » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:40 pm

Forgive me for bubbling this one back up, I won't make it a habit; but I have been wondering whether anyone with an afterthought might have further comment

Also, meantime I have encountered in Osho several more puzzling if not egregious instances. For example, on page 58 he makes reference to a Zen allegory with an illustration where a bewildered fellow "...sees the back of the ox standing in the thick forest," though the plate itself shows him observing it head-on, and not in a thick forest but in open country across the banks of a stream

I feel bewildered too
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:45 pm

I guess that makes you a bewildebeest.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Zen by Osho...

Post by dalehileman » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:37 pm

Erik, indeed it does

I wonder if you'd relent and with the object of determining whether it might gain a few responses, allow me a brief posting in another forum accessible on Home Page, with a link to this thread. For instance, it might fit in Misc or Word Origins if I were to ask, for instance, if Zen is not a religion nor a philosophy, what other word would might one use to describe it

Thank you for your indulgence
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS