The Professor and the Madman

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Post by daverba » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:28 am

A friend has repeatedly reminded me of this book about the making of the OED. I haven't read it yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Professor-Madman- ... 006099486X
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Say any word, and I'll tell you how the root of that word is Greek." - Gus Portokalos, My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Post by Shelley » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:12 am

Do. It's wonderful -- really, really interesting. I've saved my copy on a chance that I'll get it signed one day.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by zmjezhd » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:11 pm

Two other books about the OED worth reading are: (1) Caught in the Web of Words: J. A. H. Murray and the Oxford English Dictionary by K. M. Elisabeth Murray (Murray's granddaughter, 1977, 2001); (2) The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary by Peter Gulliver, Jeremy Marshall, and Edmund Weiner (2006).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by LoisMartin » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:24 pm

I haven't read the other two, but I'm with Shelley--The Professor and the Madman is definitely a good read.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Lois from Birmingham

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC