Catalyst of my fixation

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Catalyst of my fixation

Post by Spear » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:57 am

A year ago I read FAST & LOUCHE confessions of a flagrant sinner an autobiography by Jeremy Scott.

I did not know the meaning of "louche" and looked it up. I was hooked. Before, I always liked words and reading. I’ve loved crossword puzzles since very young and have been used to looking up words in the dictionary and thesaurus. Yet for the first time I did a thorough search on the internet on the word “louche”. I discovered interesting websites dedicated to the love of words and found much wider descriptions about the origins of words. Someone mentioned in another post that he suspects that he is becoming a bore. To some people maybe, but I have not found any boring posts on this site. I may find a miniature airplane enthusiast a bore, but his fellow aficionados will not.

Apart from that this was (and I do not want to sound like a Sunday Times review, but no other word describes this better) a delightful read. So let's leave the reviews to the reviewers, here are a few:

Description of Fast and Louche
PG Wodehouse wrote that: “the three essentials for an autobiography are that its compiler shall have had an eccentric father, a miserable misunderstood childhood and a hell of a time at his public school and I had none of these advantages”.

Jeremy Scott had them all and then went on to:
- Have an Evelyn Waugh like youth
- - Poison a battalion of the British Army (deliberately)
- - Work as a gigolo (well, he tried, amongst the glitterati of New York)
- - Get Edward Heath stoned on amphetamines
- - Tangle with Lord Lucan; and work with David Bailey and Terry Donovan; and have Paul Newman’s daughter fall in love with him
- - Live with Peter Mayle, his best friend in Provence

This is a wildly funny, hugely entertaining and, in part tragic, memoir of an accidental life spent in the fast lane (an E type Jaguar in fact) with everyone who was anyone in the 1960s and 1970s.

About Jeremy Scott
Jeremy Scott was born into the eccentric decaying upper classes, he had a spectacularly successful life in advertising in the 1960s and 1970s until reinventing himself, first in Provence and then as an ascetic, whose life was saved by Marcus Aurelius 10 years ago.

Reviews of Fast and Louche
You’ll read Fast and Louche in one sitting and spend the rest of the day wishing for a life like Jeremy Scott’s, wishing for his audacity, his foolishness, his bravery.
Bookmunch

'Racy and indiscreet.'
Daily Mirror
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC