"London", by Edward Rutherfurd

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Post by Shelley » Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:21 am

At over 1100 pages, it's a commitment, and worth it. Even though it's fiction, Rutherfurd packs historic information into each page. I'd read "Sarum", so knew what to expect (he covers the development of a region from pre-history to the 20th century). Wordwizards will particularly enjoy the stories around English words and phrases. There could be a lot of "folk etymology" in there, but since Rutherfurd seems to have done his homework in all other areas, I'm willing to trust him. Anyway, it's a fun (long!) read. I've really learned a lot -- even reaching a shaky understanding of the succession of Kings and Queens!

Tony h, on another thread (about the Temple -- remember?) you mentioned walking in the same paths that a couple of Roman guys might have walked 2000 years ago -- having a real sense of their presence and the passage of time. This book really conjured that sense for me.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:57 am

Shelley I do agree with you on this one. My wife gave the book to me, after she had read it, and I devoured it during the course of a week. Another excellent book, though without the fictional narrative, is Norman Davies’s Europe.

PS I have the photo’s of John Goldsmiths grave, if you send me an email address I will send them to you.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC