Dictionary of English Down the Ages, by Linda & Roger Flavel

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:42 am

dictionary of english down the ages
words & phrases born out of historical events great & small
by Linda & Roger Flavell

.. for me this has been a book that has awakened a whole new way of looking at the evolution of words and their mortality .. their impermanence and at times their rebirth .. the aging process and the plastic surgery to which many words are subjected .. at times reappearing as whacko Jacko and at other times coming out of the anaesthetic as a word that transforms our way of thinking .. I have developed a greater, although not complete .. *grin* .. tolerance for the variations in spelling that abound in the various forms of English ..

.. the book takes significant historical events, beginning with 1066 The Normans begin to erect castles and ending with 1989 Tim Berners-Lee makes proposals that lead to the World Wide Web, and at each point the Flavells define the birth of words that came into English as a direct consequence of that historical event .. in the process we see how words, through human usage, twist and turn and tumble into new meanings and extensions of meanings .. what IS the connection between porcelain and a sow's vulva ?? .. how are the KKK and the common bicycle connected ?? .. are vanilla and vagina related ?? .. and what words did we inherit when Cortés enters Tenochtitlan was the headline in the Aztec Times of 1519 ?? .. mispellings, misunderstandings and misnomers all played their part in the evolution of the English language .. and yes, continue to do so .. oh and BTW what the hell is unattested vulgar Latin ?? ..

WoZ of Aus 30/07/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by tony h » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:38 am

WoZ that is probably the most enticing book review? It is a wonder that you haven't already organised some preferential buying price for WW members.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:11 pm

Wiz, On your recommendation, I’ve just ordered it – a bargain at $11.69 (plus shipping) from Amazon. And it better be good or your ass is grass! (&lt)

Ken – July 31, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by daverba » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:24 am

I haven't read that book, but I know about the vanilla/vagina connection and, because genitals fascinate people, the book probably mentions the orchid/testicle connection. And, oddly enough (or maybe not), vanilla is an orchid.

I've written a small book on the English language for kids, and I decided to leave out the etymology of "chocolate" (as well as "vanilla") because a kid might read about chocolate and wonder about vanilla (and then go look it up). I didn't want to be responsible for flabbergasted kids and embarrassed angry parents and teachers.

The term "unattested Vulgar Latin" seems to refer to an apparent morphological derivative of one of the Latin dialects spoken in much of the Roman Empire but not extant in written form. Vulgar Latin is almost, by definition, unattested, but not necessarily so. It seems that the book wanted to explicitly express those assumptions.

Vulgar Latin survived the Roman Empire, and it is the “missing link” between Latin and the Romance languages. For example, Vulgar Latin on the Iberian Peninsula already showed signs of dropping double consonants and, as a result, Spanish typically does not double its consonants unless necessary to show distinction (pero vs perro), whereas, Italian (truer to its Latin origins) readily doubles its consonants.

On the other hand, "unattested vulgar Latin" may refer to the unconfirmed quote by Caesar: "Et tu, Brute? You @#*% scoundrel! And keep your %$!# hands off my daughter." (lol)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "Say any word, and I'll tell you how the root of that word is Greek." - Gus Portokalos, My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:38 pm

.. to a Dave from a David, Thanks mate ..

.. Ken I am very confident you will enjoy the book .. well I am confident you will enjoy the book .. well make that I imagine that you will enjoy the book .. or maybe I imagine that I am confident that you will enjoy the book .. or maybe my imagination got carried away in describing the book ...... hmmmmmm maybe I had better hope to hell that the Flavells did their homework before bursting into print ........

.. nice thought Tony but I never was the businessman ..

WoZ of Aus 02/07/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by DJHampson » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:33 pm

aside: The historical origin of "assassin" won't surprise anyone familiar with present reality.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: markedly DJH

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:53 am

.. DJH it would seem that the Old Man of the Mountains has never gone away ..

WoZ
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by DJHampson » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:12 pm

For some that is an illusory danger...something was reminded of on the forum today.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: markedly DJH

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC