how many of you have read the da vinci code

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:23 pm

Don't clam up, Shelley!

A "here lies"-type of marker might well not be telling the truth.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:11 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote: Don't clam up, Shelley!
No, but I might conch out.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:50 pm

I live quite a way from England, but have found this link. I reckon you are right Shelley, the good Irishman does appear to be buried in the Temple

http://www.poetsgraves.co.uk/goldsmith.htm
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:25 pm

Bob, Sounds like being found missing.
Shelley, Undersea meant. Cretacious sakes, that's sedimental.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:26 pm

That's a great link, Bobinwales! Photo and everything. The marker is next to a concrete barrier thingy (the kind that prevents you from parking your car too far into the lawn, ditch, next aisle, whatever). The day I saw it, it was partially hidden under the bumper of a parked car -- ok, well I might be exaggerating a little.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:20 pm

Sorry to be a bore but in the interests of maintaing the pure facts I have been to visit. The Temple covers several acres and has a Church called Temple Church. Oliver Goldsmith's Grave is just outside of the Church grounds next to the Master's House but in the Inner Temple (the Inner Temple was the the bit that was kept by the Knights Hospitaliers (after the Knights Templars were disbanded) and is a sacred part the middle Temple was owned by someone else (I forget whom)). The stone grave itself is there and at its head a fairly recent commerative plaque placed in the ground.

But, Shelley, it is not a car park, although it would be possible to drive a car (or maybe two) up to that point. But in terms of commeration of the poet there is also the building that leads up to it - Goldsmith House. I have some photos which I will try and download from phone at the weekend.

So I think you were near enough.

PS The Temple Church is now providing afternoon lectures on the Davinci Code for £4=

And, Shelley, thank you for giving me the excuse to take the time to explore something that is on my doorstep. If you every want to visit it again I will but you a pint in Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese which also does a rather excellent steak and kidney pudding (if you are so inclined).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by tony h » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:22 pm

Sorry about the typos (and I did mean "buy you a pint")
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:16 pm

Thank you, tony h, for going there -- pure facts are important to me. So, strictly speaking, old Ollie is NOT buried in the Temple Church because the Church is just the round, Norman-style building, correct? He IS buried on Church grounds (sacred Inner Temple), though, which is still the Church property, so I guess Wikipedia was right, there.
But, tony h, there were, most definitely, at least two cars parked there. Granted, it wasn't a very large parking lot, -- small, but seemed intended for the purpose. There was some sort of rehearsal going on for a performance for the Queen (celebrating her 50th? year on the throne), so maybe it was an unusual spillover/emergency parking situation. I'm glad, too, to know that Oliver Goldsmith is honored with a plaque and a building. While visiting (really rushing around), I didn't notice Goldsmith House. In fact, I saw the marker out of the corner of my eye, and normally would not have checked it out -- almost missed it!
There is a lot to see there. It's good that The Da Vinci Code has sparked an interest in the Temple Church, and I'm glad tours are offered. I hope they're making lots of money!
Like I said before, this Da Vince Code stuff is great if more people get interested in seeing more of the world, learning more of its history -- whatever -- instead of sitting at home watching TV, or worse, spending hours on some website talking about inane topics like what your definition of "is" is!
Thanks again, tony h -- yeah, I knew what you meant!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:48 pm

Just an odd thought I wanted to share. I was walking with a co-worker (just because I don’t believe I can spell colleague) to meet a friend in the Roman amphitheatre under the Guildhall. In the short walk we just passed the normal conversational items that one does. Then I just I had a vision of this same road these two people walking as we were but some 2000 years earlier saying "Zeus. They couldn't manage a piss-up in a brewery. Do you fancy going out this evening? I wonder what’s on at the amphitheatre?” And then thinking it probably has happened every year since.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC