how many of you have read the da vinci code

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:31 am

Is there ever going to be any point here at which the law of diminishing returns kicks in? ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:15 am

Che, And, of course, after demonstrating to us all, the value of your truth (e.g. quantum leap) and the power of your logic, and, of course, your ‘intellectually honesty’ in not coming clean, I wouldn’t place too much stock in any of them.

However, I agree with Erik that the returns are diminishing, so I have said my last, at least on this one. (&lt)

Ken G – June 6, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by spiritus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:31 am

Erik_Kowal wrote: Is there ever going to be any point here at which the law of diminishing returns kicks in? ;-)

Erik,
Given Ken's last post and the supplied returning link to a diminishing law, I have reasons to think not.

No matter, I will do my best to make the issue entertaining, informative, and humourous, rather then personally antagonistic and egocentrically defensive.

(P.S. to Ken: "Bring it on, you little bitch!") (:-D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Che Baraka

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:42 am

Let's see, now, is "bitch" ok to say here? Hmmm, well, this could be thought humorous, and so should be taken lightly, and being addressed to a male rather than a female, is once-removed from anything that could be mistaken for the truth (forgetting that, technically, Ken not being a female dog, he is twice-removed). But still, the implied "truth" that a female could be so-called is sexist......oh,dear......wait, maybe he's using it as a little reference to a historical use of the word in a time long-past. I don't know. Maybe it is hyper-cool and actually a term of endearment.
Maybe each will decide for theirbitchself.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:48 am

What does "bring it on" mean?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:18 pm

Hit me with all ya got
come and git it
knock the chip off my shoulder...you'll be sorry
I challenge you to a duel
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:47 pm

spiritus wrote: Shelly, of which literary genre would you consider it to be? Is it a murder detective/mystery, historical fiction, fictional realism (oops---oxymoron), or religious fiction (double oops-redundancy)?. . . What’s your thinking on this?
Spiritus, I just discovered the New York Public Library puts Dan Brown’s novels in the Murder Mystery category. I might put them in the fictional, conspiratorial murder and chase, mysterious ticking time-bomb thriller genre, but I guess my first call was not too far off the mark. Incidentally, his Deception Point is pretty good along these lines, too.

Ok, the returns on this thread are diminished, but not completely depleted. I know you’ve all been clamoring (is that a word?) to know who’s buried under The Temple parking lot: it’s Oliver Goldsmith. Tah Dah!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by spiritus » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:42 pm

Shelley wrote:
...I know you’ve all been clamoring (is that a word?) to know who’s buried under The Temple parking lot: it’s Oliver Goldsmith. Tah Dah!

I, for one, admit to having clamored. Now I clamor to know who is Oliver Goldsmith?
I think "clamoring to know" is inevitable when reading literature of the "fictional, conspiratorial murder and chase, mysterious ticking time-bomb thriller genre".
Is 'clamoring' a group activity? Can there be just one clamorer? Is begging a lesser form of clamoring?
Hurry up and tell me. Com'on, I want to know. Tell me. Please. Pretty please.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:26 pm

Clams have O-rings?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:11 am

Yes. The purpose of their O-rings is to keep out seals.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by spiritus » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:14 am

That's a wise strategy. A pearl of wisdom.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:07 am

Seals develop good mollusculature by doing bivalve curls.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:39 pm

FYI spiritus: Oliver Goldsmith was born in Ireland and died in London in 1774. He wrote, among other things, the novel The Vicar of Wakefield and the play She Stoops to Conquer. There are lots of sites you can go to for more details. Just do a search using "Oliver Goldsmith biography" (except I didn't use the quotation marks). Wikipedia says he's buried in Temple CHURCH. Well, the marker I saw was NOT in the Church. If I ever get back there, I'll check -- but I'm pretty sure it was a "here lies" type of marker.
Imagine the fellow contemplating the marker and thinking "Who the hell is Oliver Goldsmith?", then, "Right. Bring in the concrete!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:23 pm

I might pop in and have a look for you. Walked past Temple Church today after lunch, a rather good one, on my way to the office.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Shelley » Mon Jun 12, 2006 5:42 pm

Let me know, tony h, if and when. However, if I've seriously misread things, and you find I'm totally wrong about it, please break it to me gently. I just can't stand being wrong -- (you'd think I'd be used to it by now, it happens so often)!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS