how many of you have read the da vinci code

Read anything good recently? You don't have to write a review. If it was good, mention it here. If it was rotten, mention it here.

Please include both the name of the book and its author(s) in the title of your posting. Our gratitude for your considerateness will be your reward!

Post by Given » Wed May 10, 2006 9:26 am

i have read the Da Vinci Code but i found it hard to understand,it was good though,i just hope the movie will be better.its my first time on the site,i discovered it whilst i was trying to do research on as assignment.hope ill inspired to come back again
cya
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed May 10, 2006 2:12 pm

I have always wanted to meet someone with a Given name!

I have read the thing and found it under-researched and over-rated. Having said that, I have yet to meet someone who said they enjoyed it, but no-one who hasn’t finished it once they started it. Dire though I found it, I couldn’t put it down, so it must have something.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Wed May 10, 2006 8:58 pm

jolly good fun. Just don't mistake it for anything other than a novel
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Shelley » Wed May 10, 2006 10:00 pm

What's all this about Vinci's cold?! All I hear lately is "the Vinci cold" this and "the Vinci cold" that -- well, I'm just sick of it! Is it contagious or danger-- What? Huh -- what? Oh. Ohhhhh . . .

Never mind.

Love, Emily Litella
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Wed May 10, 2006 10:04 pm

Dear Emily,
It is South Africinglish for "The wine, she's cold."
Love, Jim
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed May 10, 2006 11:40 pm

Pearl, I find that I how receive a book often depends a lot on my mood and what else I have just finished reading. When I read the Da Vinci Code I was ready for some light reading, wasn’t expecting great literature, and so I wasn’t that disappointed. But I didn’t think it was all that good, although it was a page turner, and I guess from its level of popularity I was expecting more than what I got.

On the other hand, I just finished reading Palace Walk by Naguib Manfouz (written in 1956 and first translated in 1990) who has been called the Dickens of Egypt, and loved it. In addition to being really good literature, I felt it gave me a window into life in a Muslim society (circa 1915), which I knew little about, and I am looking forward to reading the next two books in his trilogy which continue up into more recent times.

However, when I started to read my next book, The Dream of Scipio by Iain Pears, which is a mystery set in three time periods, the fifth-century Roman Empire, the plague years in the 14th century, and World War II, I read about 25 pages and realized I just wasn’t in the mood for it right now – I just didn’t’ feel like figuring out who was who and what was what, although I’m sure I will enjoy it at a future date when the mood is right.

So what did I do? I rushed out and bought Zorro (2005) by Isabel Allende – the story of Diego de la Vega and how he became the legendary Zorro – Oh boy! Pure fun and relaxation and that happens to be what I am ready for right now. Decent, but not great literature, and Allende is always historically interesting – I’m ready for it.

Ken G – May 10, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by roxychic » Fri May 12, 2006 1:47 am

no i have not
was it good
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: rgreen

Post by roxychic » Fri May 12, 2006 1:55 am

bye for now
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: rgreen

Post by Cleopatra » Mon May 15, 2006 4:10 am

roxychic go somewhere else
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Ancient chick

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri May 19, 2006 9:20 pm

If Dan Brown has a family motto, I suggest it should now read "Veni, vidi da Vinci".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Ed P » Mon May 29, 2006 9:16 pm

If Dan Brown has a family is what was said to me.:-)

"have you read any umberto ecco?" yes, "have you read Foucaults pendulum? "yes "Don`t even borrow it from someone you will get upset." so its ecco lite? " not even there, ecco ephememeral?" but you bought it and you finished it? "Of course I blooody finished it even if it`s turgid crap, I PAID FOR IT! I`m on a plane and have time to fill to take my mind off the process."

This leaves me intrigued enough to borrow but not pay for a copy and see if this was true/fair etc, even if it is "turgid readers digest prose"
(the same was said of Isaac Asimov, but at least he had original ideas.)

How many people who have read it would recommend it to others?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by dalehileman » Tue May 30, 2006 12:40 am

rox: Me neither
But it must be good as it's selling like the proverbial hot cakes
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue May 30, 2006 2:03 am

Dale, It all depends on how good your definition of ‘good’ is. (&lt)

Ken – May 29, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by b2bcookies » Tue May 30, 2006 3:28 am

Ed P. I myself loved that book and even recommend it! I found that people in my Sociology class were actually taking the information about it as factual. I intervened and helped the professor explain some of the ideas that were taken in the book and convince the people it was fiction because of a couple of things that we mentioned. Amazingly some were still not convinced and looked it up themselves. A couple of classmates went as far as to read the book because they were so curious. All of the hoopla in the news doesn’t help either. It was written for fun. If you don't take it on a serious biblical side, or as a study, and you read the book for pure enjoyment you’re capable of enjoying it. I was shocked at how quickly people were ready to believe anything. I started out by clearly telling everyone, “What I’m about to tell you is a fictional story and that’s all, it is not true.” and then I explained the story of “The Da Vinci Code”. So, I’ll argue it is an excellent read, and very intriguing. Just remember when a persons name has been mentioned that actually existed at one time doesn’t make the story a fact, and please don’t read it for the purpose of research, because as the binding on the book says, it’s FICTION. Then again some are ready to follow any type of religion , sadly enough. I suggest it as a good read though…. Loved it! 0;)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: A smile is the answer to the youth we truly desire;)

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue May 30, 2006 9:12 am

Haven't read it, but the ending sounds good : seek the truth.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS