Good for the soul

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

Good for the soul

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:15 am

It was a busy day at the cathedral. But the priest was summoned away for an emergency. He wondered, “What to do? What to do? I can’t leave the confessional untended!”

Then came an idea.

“I’ll see if the Rabbi can fill in while I’m out.”

He hurried across the street to the schul and presented the idea to his friend the Rabbi. But the Rabbi said, “Well, I’m not sure about that. We don’t have anything like that here!”

The priest replied, “I’ll show you. It's easy. Just stick with me.”

A moment after the priest and the Rabbi had sat down on one side of the confessional, someone else sat down on the other.

“Father, forgive me, for I have sinned,” the man said.

“What did you do?” asked the priest.

“I committed adultery.”

The priest asked, “How many times?”

“Three times”.

The priest said, “Say two Hail Marys, put $5 in the box, and go and sin no more.”

The man thanked the priest and left.

Moments later, a woman sat down in the confessional, and the priest asked her what she’d done.

“I committed adultery,” she said. “Three times,” she added.

The priest told her, “Say two Hail Marys, put $5 in the box, and go and sin no more.”

The Rabbi said he now felt more confident, so the priest thanked him and left.

The Rabbi was alone in the confessional. After a few moments, a man entered and sat down. He said, “Father, forgive me, for I have sinned.”

The Rabbi asked, “What did you do?”

“I committed adultery,” replied the man. “How many times?” asked the Rabbi.

“Once”.

The Rabbi said to him, “Well, go and do it two more times, then come back and confess again. We’ve got a special on this week -- three for five dollars.”
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Good for the soul

Post by Phil White » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:29 pm

That is more than enough to get you slung out of today's Labour Party in the UK...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Good for the soul

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:27 pm

For that to happen to me, I'd have to belong to it in the first place.

Another prerequisite would be that the Labour Party would need to have an identifiable policy programme that amounts to something more substantial than being the "We're not the party of Boris" party. It seems to be having some trouble reaching that point.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC