The doctor said...

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

The doctor said...

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:41 am

A bloke in the pub said that his doctor had told him that he had an iron deficiency. He asked the doctor how he knew and he told him that his shirts were all wrinkled.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: The doctor said...

Post by tony h » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:36 pm

I chuckled at that. I think somewhat more than 2 but rather less than 1. Maybe I am becoming obsolete?

Chuckle (verb)

1. intransitive. ‘To laugh vehemently; to laugh convulsively’ (Johnson). Cf. checkle v. Obsolete.

1598 J. Florio Worlde of Wordes Collepolarsi d'allegrezza, to chuckle, to chuck or rouze ones selfe to gladnes and mirth.
1741 S. Richardson Pamela III. xx. 110 Such Liberties of Speech, as they would saucily chuckle at.
1823 C. Lamb Elia 2nd Ser. xxiv It would be difficult to find one who has heartily chuckled at it.

a. To laugh in a suppressed manner; to laugh to oneself; to make or show inarticulate signs of exultation or triumph.

1803 S. Smith Wks. 25 A man, who would..set the house in a blaze, that he might chuckle over the splendour.
1841 I. D'Israeli Amenities Lit. II. 54 A tale which some antiquaries still chuckle over.
1850 C. Kingsley Alton Locke I. iii. 55 Then he filled his pipe and chuckled away in silence.
1855 Tennyson Maud iv. v, in Maud & Other Poems 16 We whisper, and hint, and chuckle, and grin at a brother's shame.
1881 W. Besant & J. Rice Chaplain of Fleet I. iii. 41 He went off chuckling.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC