Labor omnia vincit

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

Labor omnia vincit

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:47 am

A travelling salesman stopped at a rural Oklahoma gas station to refuel. He also bought a bottle of cola, which he took outside to consume in his car while he relaxed for a few minutes. As he sat there with his drink, his eye was drawn by the activity of a couple of workmen on the other side of the road.

One man would dig a hole two or three feet deep and then move on.

The other man would come along behind him and fill in the hole.

While one dug a new hole, the other was about 25 feet behind him, filling in the previous hole. The men worked their way right past where the salesman was sitting and carried on digging and filling, digging and filling all the way down the road.

"I can't stand this," muttered the salesman. He opened the door of his car, tossed the empty bottle into a bin and headed down the street towards the road crew.

"Hold it guys, hold it," he said to the workmen. "Can you tell me what's going on with all this digging?"

"Well, we work for the county," said the first labourer.

"But one of you digs a hole, and then the other fills it in. You're not actually achieving anything. Aren't you wasting the county's money?"

"You don't understand, mister," the second workman said, leaning on his shovel and wiping his brow. "Normally there's three of us -- me, Rodney and Mike. I dig the hole, Rodney sticks in the tree and Mike here puts the dirt back. Now just because Rodney's sick, that don't mean that me and Mike can't work."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC