A grateful mother

We've created this area in the hope of seeing material ranging from some well-told (or well retold) jokes to original writing with a humorous slant, or anything else that might appeal to the kind of person who enjoys playing with words more than people. That probably means someone like yourself. N.B. -- Postings preceded by ** contain some sexual or risqué content. (Makes them easier to find.)

A grateful mother

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:49 pm

Three sons left home to go out into the wide world, where they prospered.

Meeting up again at the wedding of a mutual schoolfriend some years later, they compared notes regarding the gifts each had recently given their elderly mother.

The first son said, "I've just finished building Mom a big house in the country."

The second said, "I sent her a Mercedes with a driver."

The third smiled affably at his two elder brothers and said, "Well, those are very nice gifts, but I have to tell you that I got Mom something really special. You know how she always enjoyed reading the Bible to us when we were kids? And how her sight has been pretty bad for quite a few years? Well, I’ve just sent her a remarkable parrot that has memorised the entire Bible. It took the church elders in my parish twelve years to train him, so he's truly one of a kind. Mom only has to name the chapter and verse, and the parrot will recite it for her."

Not long afterwards, their mother sent out her letters of thanks:

"Milton," she wrote to her first son, "the mansion you built for me is so huge. You know, I only live in one room, but I still have to clean the entire house."

"Gerald," she wrote to the second, "I am too old to travel. I stay at home most of the time cleaning Milton’s cottage, so I rarely have any need for the Mercedes. And that good-for-nothing driver is always so rude!"

"Dearest Donald," she wrote to her third son, "you have the good sense to know what your mother likes. The chicken was delicious."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC