Articulated buses

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Articulated buses

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:10 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 1_3507.jpg

Hi everyone! Are there any articulated buses in your city? This is one in Ottawa. This is the first time in my life I have seen one.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Articulated buses

Post by Phil White » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:27 pm

Articulated buses have only rarely been used in the UK. The current Prime Minister, Boris Johnson promoted their use in London when he was Mayor of London, but they have since all been withdrawn. I believe that they were also used in a couple of other cities, but they have never been popular here. We probably prefer the old "double-deckers".

When I lived in Germany, in particular in Munich, they were very popular indeed. It is a very strange feeling to ride in the back half of one. They sway and bounce in a very strange way, and watching the bus bend as it rounds a corner is oddly disconcerting.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:08 am

Phil White : Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Have a nice weekend.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:35 pm

They were used in Swansea (the nearest city to the village where I live) a few years back and were an unmitigated disaster.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:02 pm

I have ridden them in airports and in Copenhagen and St Petersburg (the Russian one). They aren't suitable for routes with a combination of narrow streets, small intersections and tight turns, which is one reason that they were withdrawn in London.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:17 am

Bob and Erik : Thank you both for your responses. Enjoy your day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC