Steamed apple snails

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Steamed apple snails

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:20 pm

https://cdn.beptruong.edu.vn/wp-content ... hap-sa.jpg

Hi everyone! Have you ever eaten steamed apple snails with lemongrass? Do you consider this dish yucky?

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Steamed apple snails

Post by trolley » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:59 pm

Apple snails are an invasive species from South America that are spreading quickly and causing a lot of problems, especially in Southeast Asia. I didn't realize they were edible...I guess that's a good way to get rid of them. I have eaten escargots (land snails) many times and quite enjoy them (what doesn't taste good with garlic and butter?) I'd give these guys a go but they'd need to be well-cooked.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:59 pm

trolley : Thanks a lot for your response. Have a good day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:17 pm

I'm a vegetarian nowadays, but when I still ate meat, I could never bring myself to eat snails, insects of any kind, including locusts, or indeed offal, blood sausage of any kind.

Now, after a few years as a vegetarian, I actually find the thought of meat quite unpleasant most of the time.

My own journey to a largely vegetarian diet was a strange one. I have been convinced of the environmental and ethical arguments for 20 years or so, but I was brought up to believe that a proper diet included meat. When I started to lose my sight, I found it increasingly difficult to prepare meat and found myself eating vegetarian meals more and more often. Then, about 3 years ago, I decided to stop buying meat altogether. And I have to say that I don't miss it and actually feel better for it. I always said that I would eat meat on occasion if I felt like it, but the most I will ever have nowadays will be a little fish, or perhaps a few chunks of chicken in a stir-fry if I ever buy and cook chicken for Sheba when she has an upset tum!

No, snails are definitely not my thing, although my dog Sheba loves them...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:46 am

Phil White : Thanks very much for your candid and detailed answer. Becoming a vegetarian takes plenty of effort, I suppose. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC