Flying kites

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Flying kites

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:45 pm

Hi guys! Was flying kites a popular pastime when you were a teenager? It was a widely known pastime in my city when I was in secondary school.

I am eager to receive your responses.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Flying kites

Post by trolley » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:24 pm

Kite flying is not nearly as popular in North America as it is in other parts of the world, especially Asia. Growing up in the 60s, I built a few and flew a few but it was not something we did on a regular basis. My last experience was about 25 years ago when my daughter and I built one and took it to the park. The whole flight lasted about 5 minutes...it's probably still up in that tree.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:34 pm

It goes in and out of fashion. Stephen, what sort of kites do you fly?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:09 pm

trolley : Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

tony h : Thanks a lot for your answer and question. When I was in middle school, my buddies and I could not afford to purchase nice and colorful kites in shops, therefore we used pieces of paper or pieces of newspapers, some glue and bamboo sticks in order to create workable kites. Several kids employed cooked rice in lieu of glue. Here's the picture.

https://cachlam.com.vn/wp-content/uploa ... m-dieu.jpg

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:55 pm

This being wordwizard I have to mention this. You will never find a problem with these differences in everyday situations, only when talking to specialized craftsmen. Your friends who used rice to stick things used "paste", "glue" is made from rendered animal parts typically bone, "adhesive" covers pretty much everything else.

But glue, paste or adhesive will mean pretty much the same thing to most people. Oh, and glue needs to be heated before use.

We used paper and glue for our kites the same as your picture. Then in about 1970, someone got sent a dragon kite from somewhere nearer your neck of the woods. It was an amazing thing. Dramatically painted in red, black and gold, it was made in several sections including a tail in about four 1' sections, finished off with an immensely long tail. Well that set a new challenge in construction.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:11 pm

When I was in my late teens, there was a craze in the UK for flying "Peter Powell" stunt kites, and I had two. They had two strings and you could join several together and fly them in formation. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed them! The footage in the link above has made me very nostalgic!

Here's some footage of 3 Peter Powells being flown on a single pair of control lines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYcIXEFpGeA
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:03 pm

Phil White : Thanks a lot for your answer and the links. Enjoy your day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:23 am

Phil White wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:11 pm When I was in my late teens, there was a craze in the UK for flying Peter Powells
I missed out but no longer! Just ordered one from www.peterpowellkites.com. This order is a classic of hope over experience.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:29 am

Well done, Tony. Keep us posted.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:43 am

I am impressed! They are very easy to fly when you get the hang of it.
The only tip I have is: if you do, say, ten clockwise loops, make sure you do ten anticlockwise loops to unwind the control lines again. When they are twisted about 20 or so times, the kite gets difficult to control.
Oh, and have fun with it!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC