food memory

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: food memory

Post by Shelley » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:30 pm

WoZ, when you referred to a "hand" of pork, I pictured it a little differently. I've recently read "A Turn in the South," by V.S. Naipaul. In it, he writes about the old-fashioned way of processing tobacco: a worker takes several (about eight) flattened leaves of tobacco and ties them together at the stems, creating what is called a "hand" of tobacco. The "hand" is then hung up to cure in a special shack for the purpose. Naturally, when you said a hand of pork, all I saw was three or four thin chops, connected at one end and fanned out. "That could work," I thought.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:23 am

It's a hand of bananas as well is it not? Obviously for the same reason.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:10 pm

To be anoraky about it, a hand of bananas is not necessarily what you may expect.
The trade designations are
1 banana=1 finger
5 - 7 fingers=1 cluster
15 - 20 fingers=1 hand
8 - 14 hands=1 bunch (= 200 bananas)
What we get from the greengrocer as a "hand" or even a "bunch" is (for the trade) a "cluster".

I'm not sure I would want to go to my greengrocer and ask her for "two fingers". She would possibly give me them.

For that little gem of information and more than you may ever care to know about bananas, including the risk of spontaneous combustion:
http://www.tis-gdv.de/tis_e/ware/obst/banane/banane.htm

My god! the crap you have to know/learn as a translator!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Shelley » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Phil White wrote:I'm not sure I would want to go to my greengrocer and ask her for "two fingers".
You could go to your bartender and ask her for "two fingers" of whatever you happen to be drinking that day and be very happy with the result!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:53 pm

We measured something else in high school by how many fingers it was, too. A finger in a baggie was about 1/4 ounce.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Lanfear » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:25 pm

I always associate tangerines with childhood Christmases, as I got them in my stocking. We couldn't usually afford them at the time.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:15 pm

It is well known that the sense of smell is the one most evocative of memories, the centres involved being close together in the brain.
I tried to post this in that subtle font "Cow-Spots" but apparently the Website hasn't got the required import licence.
And I really think that Phil, as an educator, should stick to the SI units for bananas.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC