food memory

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

food memory

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:43 am

.. does anybody else have a food memory ?? .. let me explain ..

.. just recently I was walking past the butchers and I noticed that they had pickled hands of pork .. on impulse I went in and bought a good healthy hand .. took it home and cooked it slowly for hours .. then went to the bakers and bought some lovely fresh bread took that home, thick sliced it, spead it with butter and then put thick slices of pork on the bread and finally tomato sauce .. as the first bitefuls spread to my taste buds I was immediately taken back to my childhood Saturdays when this was a standard lunch before heading off to the Saturday arvo matinee down at The Morgue .. the taste evoked the memory ..

WoZ enjoying the pork .... and the memories
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: food memory

Post by russcable » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 pm

I'll translate for our friends trying to learn standard English.
Does anybody else have a food memory? Let me explain.

Just recently, I was walking past the butcher's and I noticed that they had pickled untranslatable of pork. On impulse, I went in and bought a large untranslatable, took it home and cooked it slowly for hours, then went to the baker's and bought some nice fresh bread, took that home, thick-sliced it, spread it with butter, and then, put thick slices of pork on the bread, and finally tomato sauce. As the first bites spread to my taste buds, I was immediately taken back to childhood Saturdays when this was my standard lunch before heading off to the Saturday matinee down at [some theatre whose name was surely garbled in transmission]. The taste evoked the memory.
I'm sure Erik will find some commas I've left out, but at least there's a little normal punctuation.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:22 pm

For me, those memories that seem to take me back to another place and time are, more often, triggered by smell. Fried onions transport me to the fair. When I smell rain on the hot ground, I’m on summer vacation after third grade. A whiff of summer savory and I’m in Mom’s kitchen on Christmas day, eyeballing that turkey while she makes her gravy. It might have something to do with a kid’s brain. Most of my linked memories are from childhood, although all the song-related ones seem to be from my teen years (and involve girls).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:40 pm

Looking at Russ's amended version of WoZ's text, in the fragment "... spread it with butter, and then, put thick slices of pork on the bread, ...", I would be inclined to omit not only the superfluous 'and then', but also the commas immediately before and after those words.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Phil White » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:08 pm

I moved to where I live now primarily because of the plethora of really good fish and chip shops (yes, I do mean plethora - we have 5 not including the kebab shops, Chinese et al within ten minutes walk of each other). Good haddock in greaseproof immediately evokes my childhood, as do fish paste sandwiches. Odd thing is, I've only had fish and chips twice in the year I've been here.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by russcable » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:29 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:Looking at Russ's amended version of WoZ's text,
Seriously, look at WoZ's unamended text. .. no capitals .. sentences surrounded by " .. " or " >> " .. hes using no commas or apostrophes >> and hes replying to stevens post using this "system" admixed with his "corrections" .. and youre really going to correct my comma usage .. really >> i was trying to be a bit subtle but seriously ..
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:53 pm

Russ:

Firstly, my posting was intended to be humorous. I'm sorry that you were unable to perceive the joke.

Secondly, I've commented several times before on the eccentricity of WoZ's punctuation, so I did not feel the need to repeat myself. Besides, leaving WoZ's posting uncommented-on, but appearing to be pedantic about yours, added, I thought, to the SUBTLE HUMOUR of my posting.

Doh!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by trolley » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Maybe Phil could develop some sort of "subtle font" that we could use.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Do you think this would work?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Perfectly!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:19 pm

Erik, I think it's spelled D'oh!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:37 pm

With the subtlety encountered on this board, I think this one may be more in order.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:15 am

No, Phil, really... I give you more credit than that for your subtlety. ;-)

Shelley, check out http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/euro ... .newwords/
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:14 pm

Doh!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:58 pm

.. in order to plant a small flower in russ's gastronomic desert >>
hand of pork The foreleg of pork; usually salted and boiled.
Source: A Dictionary of Food and Nutrition, DAVID A. BENDER, 2005, originally published by Oxford University Press.

The hand is the lower bit of the shoulder, on the bone, usually with the upper bit of the leg attached. It's a part of the animal that's done a fair bit of work, especially if the pig has been roaming outside, as this one had. Hand of pork is a devil to carve, so don't bother - cook it until it falls off the bone in succulent lumps.
Source: Matthew Fort, The Guardian, Saturday 4 March 2006
WoZ planting flowers
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."