Bloody Royals

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Re: Bloody Royals

Post by dante » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Hello,

I've come across the article in today's Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010 ... l-election and I remembered this debate here.I want to say a few things more,under the impression the article left on me.
The philosophy of inequality that the existence of monarchies implies is simply wrong.Put aside all other arguments of spending tax payers money and things,inequality means injustice, and injustice means evil.For those who enjoy the system of caste, higher and lower classes,posh language and other symbols of their superb class, here's an article which gives statistics of the consequences they produce with such thinking.http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010 ... l-election.
The questions which Mrs.Harriet Harman brought up are exactly what people need politicians do.The figures given by that report are scary to say the least
Children who are eligible for free school meals do significantly less well at school at every stage. At key stage 4, only 27% of them got good GCSE passes last year, compared with 54% of those who were not eligible for free meals.
• Only 4% of children receiving free school meals at age 15 went on to higher education, compared with 33% of those who were not eligible.
• Average life expectancy in the most affluent areas of the country is around 13 years longer than in the poorest areas.
I think that one of the most deplorable things that people can allow to happen is that children are not given a chance for success in life.In my opinion those sad facts given by this report should concern every normal person not only in UK.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Lanfear » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:29 pm

There is the argument that the royals pay their way via monies the country makes in tourism. Does that mean we should have Jack the Ripper knighted?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:09 am

.. and now it gets even worse with the following announcement >>

US President Barack Obama and his family will visit Australia in late March, the White House has confirmed.

.. at a time when all Australians are feeling the grip of the financial crisis the Australian taxpayers are expected to dish out millions of dollars on junkets for our politicians and hangers-on to crawl to kiss the ring of a foreigner .. and for what advantage ?? .. the same spin will be presented for media salivation and due regurgitation through all outlets .. there will be the same frenzy of backslapping and promises and assurances and grand speeches and subtle little in jokes and cutesy advice from the female Obamas and glowing family portraits and secret meetings ad nauseum .. and meanwhile the taxpayer till will tick over as each little self-important person and bureaucrat claws their way to the front of the melee to grab another taxpayer funded freebie .. just think what could be done with this wasted money .. and what will be the end result ?? .. a better future for the average Aussie ?? .. not bloody likely ..

.. and of course there will be the ususal legal bunfight about the President's entourage and what they can and can't do .. or rather what they demand they will do in contravention of Australian law .. the restrictions will be placed on the movement of ordianry Australians who just want to go about their city ..

.. and all for what ???? .. SFA !!!

WoZ
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:09 pm

Count yourself lucky. We've just paid for Obersturmbannführer Ratzinger.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:19 pm

I didn't think David Moyes had that sort of money to play with.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:35 pm

Good grief, what a memory you have!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:50 am

Like the team that Herr Ratzinger currently plays for, Edwin's memory is almost infallible. (Or so I've heard.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:54 pm

The chips are down significantly nowadays.
Time was when they cost a mint.
Time was when Everton made a mint.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:35 am

This thread has now gone at least six-feet over my head.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by hsargent » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:59 pm

Seems to me the royals are sort of a hobby for the common man in the countries that keep them in power. Seems like fish bowls to watch and envy.

I would enjoy seeing them transitioned out to become common folks. William and Harry have commented about how they would like a normal life.

In the US, I think the Union bosses should be rotated back to their tools so the perks can be passed around. Fortunately I have not had to be part of a Union.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by Phil White » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:28 pm

Bobinwales wrote:This thread has now gone at least six-feet over my head.
Are you hiding in a sett to avoid being culled?

I spent ages driving round Wales trying to work out what I'm meant to be slowing down for until I realized that "araf" must be Welsh for "badgers", as you seem to be so plagued with them.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:09 pm

According to Wiktionary, 'araf' also means "the Muslim sheol or borderland between heaven and hell for those who are, from incapacity, neither morally bad nor morally good".

There's Wales for you now, isn't it? ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:13 am

SLOW down now boys bach.

@ @
\__/
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:30 am

Bob said:
This thread has now gone at least six-feet over my head.
I'd better not mention nylons, then, after last night.
Oops.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:57 am

Edwin, Phil, stop badgering Bob. ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS