Bloody Royals

This area has been established to allow you, our visitors and contributors, to get to know one another a bit better, or to discuss subjects of general interest, without feeling obliged to restrict your postings to language-related topics. But we draw the line at floccinaucinihilivilification.

Bloody Royals

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:29 pm

{Prince} William will spend three days in Australia in January to become better acquainted with the country.

He will spend two days in New South Wales, before traveling to Victoria on January 21 to visit areas devastated by the fires which claimed up to 200 lives in February 2009. {{a bit bloody late mate !!!}}
Source: news.com.au Jan 05, 2010 1:02pm
.. and here we have another example of the instant Royal expert .. Queen Mummy lets him come out to the Colony for a nice little visit .. it will cost the Aussie taxpayers a zillion quid as you can be sure he won't put his hand in his kick for anything .. and he goes home just so much wiser and up-to-date about what goes on Downunder .. at the very least he could come out on a Trafalgar Backpacker Tour and do the whirlwind 30 dayer to mix with ordinary Aussies .. dye his hair, grow a beard and we wouldn't give a stuff who he was .. maybe he is out here looking for some good Aussie breeding stock to slow the genetic decline of the Royal line ?? ..

.. bring on the Aussie Republic !!! ..

WoZ on his soapbox
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Bloody Royals

Post by hsargent » Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:08 pm

The undeserving rich has to be an irritant. We in the US share that with you but you have to also accept inbreeding! And the riches come from UK's government rather than Daddy's inheritance.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by trolley » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:11 pm

Chuck and Camilla came over last month, slept on our chesterfield for 11 days and it cost us almost 2.5 million Canadian dollars. I think Mumsy is coming next year. I hear that handbag she totes around has about 4.5 billion dollars in it. I'll bet she doesn't even show up with a bottle of wine.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:24 pm

I am very happy being in a monarchy. I think they provide a good service, economically and provide a useful non party political role.

I, don't claim to be an expert on the ideals of this site, but it does seem that these comments are not in keeping with the purpose of the site.

Anthony, having a humour defecit.
At least I don't have to admit I live in a country that voted for a Bush or Chirac
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by trolley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:52 pm

I’m not fishing for an argument, Tony and I’m really glad the monarchy is something that works for you but that is simply not the case over here. They are very expensive house guests. I like them just fine, where they are.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:15 pm

The "addicts corner" part of the site is a free-for-all. Some remarks and posts may be censored by the admins at the admins' discretion, but by and large they have to be pretty offensive before we will do anything.

The admin team have certain loosely formulated ideas as to what constitutes acceptable behaviour and the terms of registration state "Equally, you authorize us to remove or modify any statements or postings submitted by you to these forums for any reason that we consider valid or appropriate, or to disable your access to the forums altogether."

Ultimately, if you think something is entirely inappropriate, you can contact us via a PM (preferred) or using the contact form and we shall consider what action to take, if any.

For what it's worth, I have no problems with any of the sentiments expressed thus far, nor with the way in which they were expressed, even the ones about retaining the monarchy ;-o.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by zmjezhd » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:52 pm

Many modern constitutional states (for example, in Europe) have divided the chief executive's role into two offices: a president or monarch who gets to do the fun stuff, like opening malls, going to state funerals, etc., and a prime minister (or chancellor) who gets to muck about with the day-to-day running of the country. As for Queen Elizabeth, she does now pay taxes on her private income, which is sizable owing to many properties bought in the 19th century by Albert. As for wastage of money, I'm sure the UK has thrown away more money on its latest wars (Northern Ireland, Falklands, Afghanistan, and Iraq) than it has lavished on the royals in quite a number of decades.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:04 pm

..not to mention the Olympics.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by dante » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:06 pm

Hello everyone,

With all the corrupted politicians worldwide and all the hipocrisy I hear as the main daily product of democracy today I'd feel uneasy to shout "Vive le republique".Still, monarchy is absolutely unacceptable to me for one zillion reasons and I don't have a clue what makes someone feel good with having someone spend unreasonable sums of taxpayers' money for absolutely ununderstable ceremonies and expenses.Which is more important, I'm against idolatry of any kind be it Pope, ajatollah, communist comandant, Queen or whoever it is who is declared superhuman.The only superhuman I believe in is Superman. I saw the guy flying on tv.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:47 pm

.. tony The Royals may work for England but as trolley observes they just cost Aussie taxpayers a lot of money any time they wish to have a free holiday Downunder .. and to what end ?? .. what benefit to Aus ?? .. why should the spoilt progeny of this particular foreign family have any special privileges over all the great Aussie families who have lived and worked for Australia over centuries ?? .. no tony I have absolutely no time for the outdated concept of some family being seen as somehow "special" or "superior" or "gifted" simply because way back they managed to murder all the right people, including their own relatives, steal with impunity and graft their way to the top of some inbred European social circle .. doesn't work for me at all ..

.. of course there are many in Aus who will be falling over themself to get the hot ticket to some social event or another where this English relic will sit down for another free meal .. in our democracy that is their choice ..

WoZ whose sons are superior to any Windsor
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:59 pm

Bob in Wales - Plaid Cymru activist, - Welsh nationalist - staying firmly out of this one!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by dante » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:12 am

I knew that the day must come when our political opinions will match WoZ.

..dante in tears of joy..
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by hsargent » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:53 pm

I saw a news item of the Queen getting on the train by herself going to the other castle. This was to save money and she had no security.

In the US, our President would have had the train to himself except for all the security and there would be guards every hundred feet along the duration.

I am impressed with Britain that she did not cause a security issue. We in the US haven't had a President walk outside by himself since possibly Truman.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Harry Sargent

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:55 am

There is a British royal train in existence (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Royal_Train), but it is not always used when the Queen travels by train. Its livery is described as claret rather than maroon -- I suppose the association with Bordeaux wine is regarded as setting a less sobering precedent for the royal family than one with fireworks and gunpowder, given the unfortunate events that came to a head on 5 November 1605.

In their time, Australia, Canada and South Africa have all made royal trains available for British monarchs.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:58 am

.. Harry here is a report on the Queen’s recent train trip .. it is obvious that there was plenty of security around but I do agree that it is nothing compared to other countries like the US .. I wonder if now that it has been made common knowledge if it will in fact continue to be a preferred method of travel ..
There was a buzz at King’s Cross this morning as platform 11b began crawling with police. Could it be a drug bust, the crowd wondered? Or was a rock star about to board a train? Then a small lady in a headscarf appeared, a handbag on one arm and a posy on the other.

Fellow passengers on the 10.45 First Capital Connect service to King’s Lynn couldn’t quite believe their eyes as the Queen stepped on board a first class carriage.

My wife will never believe me.’ Relatively speaking there was minimal fuss, although some travellers reacted angrily when police shut off the area without warning five minutes before the train was due to leave. The monarch, with a few attendants, sat at the rear of the train in an eight-seat section of a carriage which was separated from the rest of the seats by a sliding glass door.

As the train pulled out she took her place by the window next to one of her protection officers and looked out at the scenery.

Other first class passengers who tried to join her compartment were told by the four plain-clothes royal protection guards to sit in another first class section in the train.

Only a toddler penetrated the tight security as he ran up the alleyway followed by his father and pressed his nose against the glass. He was too small to reach the button to open the door. But he did win a cheery smile from the Queen. Asked by a passenger, one security guard confirmed that the Queen – and all her attendants – had bought tickets for the journey.

A first class open return bought on the day costs £86, but the guard joked: "It was probably a super saver advance – and she does get a discount as an OAP, remember." An advance first class ticket, without the seniors’ discount, costs £44.40.

The Queen does, of course, also have use of the Royal Train – but that costs taxpayers £57,142 each time it is taken out of its sidings.

Source and pics: http://www.railpage.com.au/f-p1367925.htm
.. and Erik given the size of Aus the use of a Royal Train has a long history when royals visited us Downunder .. the earliest reference I found was 1901 ..
The Governor-General's carriage is one of the most luxurious railway carriages in Australia. It represents the work of the most skilled artisans employed in the New South Wales Government railways in the early 1900s, especially in the work of local timbers. The carriage was built at the Eveleigh Railway Carriage Workshops, Sydney, in 1901 for the use of the newly appointed Governor-General of Australia, the Earl of Hopetoun, John Adrian Louis Hope Hopetoun (1860-1908). It is one of five special cars built by the New South Wales Department of Railways between 1891 and 1920 for the exclusive use of royalty, governors-general, governors, premiers and the railway commissioners.

The Governor-General's carriage reflects the importance of the role of the British monarch in the Government of the Commonwealth of Australia at the point of Federation and also in the social order and customs of the period. It was built and used in the halcyon days of rail travel in New South Wales before the popularity of commercial airways.

The carriage is internally divided into three sleeping suites, a dining room, galley and attendants' quarters and observation room which provided an unrestricted view of the surrounding countryside. It is furnished with a number of lounge chairs, a bookcase, writing cabinet and cellarette in polished oak. The master bedroom and two auxiliary bedrooms are fitted with brass bedsteads, mirrored dressing tables, built-in wardrobes, fans, heaters, and ensuite toilet and shower facilities. The dining room features a carved oak sideboard with matching dinner wagon, six dining chairs and table. The interior decoration includes 311 individually hand-carved timber panels of polished English oak and Australian cedar depicting botanical specimens of New South Wales and fluted pilasters. There are etched glass panels featuring Australian flora, fine carpets, gold-tinted velvets, silk drapes, the best Morocco leather and upholstery as well as hundreds of gold-plated items such as coat hooks and light switch covers. The ornate ceilings are cream-coloured stamped zinc panels by Wunderlich in Louis XVI style inset with the royal coat of arms.

The carriage was just completed in time for the Royal visit of the Duke (later King George V) and the Duchess of Cornwall and York during their visit to Australia in May to July 1901 for the opening of the first federal parliament in Melbourne. The Duke commented that "the train was the most comfortable one he had ever travelled in during his life". The carriage was renowned for its whisper-smooth ride. It was subsequently used by a number of royal visitors and in 1954 carried the first reigning monarch to visit Australia, Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip. The carriage was last used by royalty in 1964.
.. in 1920 there was a bit of excitement and a display of royal humour during the tour of Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David Windsor, aka Prince Edward ..
The tour was long and strenuous, but the Royal visitors broke the monotony by hunting kangaroos on horseback and attending parties, at one of which Prince Edward was involved in a pillow fight. He was a qualified air force pilot, and often took the controls of steam engines pulling his Royal Trains while here. Immense distances were travelled across all of Australia. On the journey from Sydney to Perth the train was derailed and the Prince’s carriage overturned. He was discovered reclining in the wreckage of his luxurious compartment, smiling and smoking a cigar. He then emerged from the debris and cheerfully remarked, “At last we have done something that was not on the official program.”
.. and it seems that everybody got in on the act .. Grace Bros is a large department store ..
In 1948, King George VI announced that he was to tour the 'colonies' to thank them for their assistance during the second world war. This was to be the first visit of a reigning monarch to Australia and elaborate plans were soon being made for a suitably lavish reception. The government of New South Wales decided to provide a Royal Train for 'the convenience and pleasure' of our Royal Visitors and placed the order for its complete furnishing by Grace Bros. However in November 1948, Prime Minister Chifley announced that the tour had been postponed due to the King's poor health. The Australian public was undaunted and, as this booklet proclaimed, 'The Nation's plans for joyous welcoming were stemmed -- perhaps only for awhile -- but, above all, we hope and trust for the complete recovery of our King.'

Grace Bros provided designs for the furnishing of four coaches of the Royal Train that was to be built for the visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in 1949. It is not clear if the train was built but at least one of the furnished rooms survives: the Stateroom intended for Queen Elizabeth.

Accommodation was to consist of Staterooms for the King and Queen with an additional sitting room for the Queen and a small study and interviewing room for the King, a 'Royal Lounge' and 'Royal Diner' with a table seating 18. As the booklet states, 'As this train was to be used only for short periods, Grace Bros. decided to make the interiors as intimate as possible and approximating to apartments used by their Majesties in their country or holiday residences.' The rooms were to be furnished in reproduction Adam furniture -- 'this being the most graceful type of period furniture suitable for the confined space available on a train'. Walls were to be papered.

Furnishings for the Queen's Stateroom were designed by W.H. Greenwood and made by the Sydney cabinetmakers, Edward Hill & Co. The furniture was made of Queensland maple with satinwood veneers and upholstered in royal blue velvet. This suite was displayed at Grace Brothers Broadway in April 1948. The visit of the royal family was cancelled in December 1948.

In fact the nation had to wait a further five years. Princess Elizabeth and her husband the Duke of Edinburgh began to tour the Commonwealth in 1952 but only reached Africa before being summoned home on the death of George VI. They finally arrived in Australia in 1954 to be greeted by enormous popular fervour.
.. but all is not well .. in January 2009 a retired policeman revealed the following ..
The Queen and Prince Philip were the targets of an assassination plot during a visit to Australia almost 40 years ago, a retired NSW detective claims.
Former Detective Superintendent Cliff McHardy said the unsophisticated plan consisted of placing a large wooden log across railway tracks near Lithgow, in the Blue Mountains, in a bid to derail the royal train.
Mr McHardy, 81, said a catastrophe was only narrowly averted, with the train striking the log but remaining on the tracks.
Details of the alleged conspiracy were supposedly kept under wraps to spare the Australian government any embarrassment, he said.
The Queen and her husband are said to be unaware to this day that anything untoward happened.
The Lithgow Plot, as it was known, occurred midway through the couple's state visit as they travelled from Sydney across the Blue Mountains on the Commissioner's Train.
On April 29, 1970, the train entered a winding cutting near Lithgow then struck a large log which had been wedged across the rails.
The log became stuck under the front wheels and the train slid for almost 200 metres before coming to a halt at a level crossing, still on the tracks and largely unscathed.
Police suspected it was an act of sabotage designed to kill or injure the Queen, who had just celebrated her 44th birthday, and her husband.
If the train had derailed it would have crashed into an embankment, said Mr McHardy, who was in charge of the Lithgow police force for 11 years.
He said a security 'sweeper' train checking the line an hour before the Queen's arrival had found nothing, which led him to deduce that the culprits must have had knowledge of the official train's schedule.
Marks at the scene suggested the log had been rolled onto the tracks and manoeuvred into position.
Australian IRA sympathisers were among those suspected of being behind the plot.
Police investigations included an inquiry into possible links with an earlier incident when detonators were placed in the path of the royal train as it approached Blackheath.
.. so it seems there hasn’t always been universal love for the Queen in Aus .. or did they just hate trains ?? ..

WoZ waiting on the platform
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS