Australian English

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Australian English

Post by dalehileman » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:04 pm

As hard-disk storage becomes cheaper and more capacious by leaps and bounds, I myself see nothing wrong with using it freely, as above; expatiating; digressing; straying off-thread once in a while, or copying and inserting pertinent materials from other sources, for instance. When I've done it, however, I've been mercilessly taken to task, demeaned, insulted, raked over the coals..

Must be 'cause I don't fight back
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Australian English

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:02 pm

The issue is not the extent of storage consumed, Dale, it is the additional effort that readers may have to expend in navigating through extensive quagmires of frequently irrelevant drivel. But I have nothing against minor digressions or the interpolation of relevant material in reasonable (i.e. modest) quantities.

However, where the material you wish to refer to is copious, you should insert a hyperlink to it instead of importing it wholesale; apart from anything else, there are copyright problems attached to the extensive use of other people's material without their permission.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC