abbreviations in page titles

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:34 am

Edwin, you shock me.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:49 am

P.S. -- Do you have any idea what Dale means when he speaks of "Laverne's admonitory"? Seems like something is missing there, but I'm damned if Dale knows what it is.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 30, 2001 6:03 am

An admonitory sounds like a failed Conservative. But that's just off the cuff.
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 30, 2001 6:17 am

Might "Laverne's admonitory" be a reference to Dale's wife's admonition expressed by Dale in his setting of the problem to us?
Reply from Leif Thorvaldson (Eatonville - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 30, 2001 6:32 am

Leif, I see you're not just an invisible face!

But I am still sympathetic to Edwin's theory of an 'add-money Tory', in other words a conservative politician whose personal and political ambitions require continual subsidy by hapless taxpayers (and who, precedent suggests, continues to pull the wool over his benefactors' eyes).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 30, 2001 6:46 am

You must take the credit for that thought, Erik - I'd only got as far as " 'ad-money Tory", one stealthily fleeced by New Con. (That's an underlying or perhaps over-lying link.)
"Laverne's admonitory" does have a mellifluous sound -"Laverne" is a lovely name in itself. And your wife is computer-literate too, Dale! If Ludlum had still been alive, I'd have advised you to copyright the phrase before he pinched it for a novel. Risk Erik and the grammar police.
The phrase has echoes of "Gray's Anatomy", "Bicknell's Agrimony", and "Vine's Expository". In the last, "expository" seems to have acquired noun-status - perhaps as a direct result of the frequent use of the abbreviated title for this famous work. But that's merely supposit... er, conjectural, on my part.
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:01 am

Had it been suppository, Edwin, I suppose it would have been in your, er, part!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:15 am

I referred above to the conservative politician who continues to pull the wool over his benefactors' eyes. The reference to wool should of course have been 'fleece'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 30, 2001 7:29 am

Edwin, you are a kindly fellow so unlike the prevailing punditry
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Topic » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:01 am

I'm compiling a dictionary of neologisms, late slang, etc, and I seriously need your opinion. To minimize its volume, in the definitions I abbreviate wherever possible: eg, Afr for African, Am. for American (A period has to be used where the abbreviation spells a word)

The question is whether I should abbreviate also in citing the source; eg, Aus-Am. Slang Dict for Australian-American Slang Dictionary

I say I should but my wife says I shouldn't because many of the sources access a page in Google or Alltheweb. Her argument is well taken, but I maintain that the kind of people who buy a dictionary of neologisms have enough sense and erudition when evoking a web page to spell out each word in the title

What do you think? Thanks guys (and gals)
Submitted by dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:15 am

Dale, please clarify the situation: how does a printed dictionary (as I assume it is, because you have not explicitly told us it isn't) access the Web, and whether it does so or not, why would abbreviating the source make any difference?

The only thing I can think of is that you are actually compiling an electronic dictionary and want to insert hyperlinks to your sources. In that case I have good news for both of you, which is that you can preserve the full underlying link (the one that actually points elsewhere) in its unabbreviated form, but modify the visible link to read whatever you like.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:29 am

Dale, Many slang dictionaries handle this problem by either incorporating reference titles in a general list of abbreviations (e.g. “Random House Historical Dictionary of American Slang”) or by having a separate list of reference titles (e.g. “Cassell’s,” “Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins”). Thus the “Australian-American Slang Dictionary” becomes AASD, The “Oxford English Dictionary” becomes the OED, “Random House Dictionary of American Slang” becomes RHDAS. The negative for doing this is that it is less convenient for the reader (if he/she is not totally familiar with the abbreviations), but the positive is that it will definitely save space if books are referred to multiple times.

Ken – October 9, 2004

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:44 am

Since I am so erudite, I don't think I'll confuse Aus-Am Slang Dict for "The austere amateur slang the dictator" just because you left out the period. ;-)

My suggestion would be to just have AASD, MWCD, etc. with the entries and then have a section at the back where you spelled it out, gave the website, told your opinion of how authoratative it is, etc.
Reply from Russ Cable (Dallas, TX - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Jan 05, 2002 1:58 am

Russ, Ken, you guys are great. It will be a book; the first limited edition to be bound in leather (If I can interest H-C); so a reader might type a cited Web page title into Google, abbreviated just as written. Thus Laverne's admonitory
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Jan 05, 2002 2:13 am

You're welcome, Dale.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS