Need some input on Y R kidz can't spell 2 good

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Jan 04, 2002 1:15 am

Hello, everyone. I'm writing an essay on the impact of commercial advertising on how children spell. I'd appreciate it if some of the members could send me fine examples of how marketers murder our language to push product. Some of the tings I'm thinking of are store/brand names (Toys 'R' Us, Kum 'N' Go, KarBrite, etc.), product lines (Xtreme Racing, 2Kewl, etc.), and ad campaign slogans (skool daze, kool dealz, etc.).

I'd love to hear any that you've seen or are common in your area, or that just really annoy you. Thanks!

Andreas
javelin98 AT lycos.com
Submitted by Andreas Udby (Spokane - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jan 04, 2002 1:29 am

Tings ain't wot dey used to be! :)
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jan 04, 2002 1:44 am

Seriously, Andreas, there's an avenue near us named "Eton Avenue" after the school. Whenever you see a form or delivery note with that address, it's more than likely it will be spelt "Eaton" - after an actress in "Ice Cold in Alex". I ask you, who wants to be associated with a glamorous, charming, beautiful film-star?
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jan 04, 2002 1:58 am

So your motto could be "Often clicked, but not by Beaton"?
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Jan 04, 2002 2:13 am

Andreas .. in general I have great difficulty in the arrogance of how Americans continue to bastardise the English language and claim a might-is-right perspective .. simply because 250 000 000 people decide to incorrectly spell a word does not make it an accepted spelling .. it simply makes it a local variation .. but my current dislike ?? >> the dropping of /s/ from the end of words and thus we now no longer wear "pants", "shorts", "jeans" or "socks" but find that we wear a "pant", a "short", a "jean" and a "sock" .. (ducks and covers head waiting for blast from Ken)
WoZ of Aus. 19/09/04
Reply from Wizard of Oz (Newcastle - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC