Latin translation of Eleanor Roosevelt quote

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:15 pm

I really want to get tattooed with the quote, "Do one thing everyday that scares you" from Eleanor Roosevelt. However, it's quite lengthy, and I think would look better in Latin, especially since they liked to shorten whole phrases into one word. I believe a correct translation is, "Fac terrorum quotidianus," which literally translates to, "Do one scary thing daily."

Does anyone know if this would be right?
Submitted by Becki Carr (Royal Oak - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:29 pm

Just looking up words in a dictionary and throwing them together doesn't make a sentence - for example, quotidianus is an adjective and you want the adverb quotidie and terrorum would be the genitive plural (possessive) rather than the accusative singular (direct object).

Something closer to the original might be: "Fac quotidie rem quae te territat." I think that says "Daily do a thing which scares you", but it's been a long time since I took Latin and I'm not 100% sure that I formed the subordinate clause correctly (the "which scares you" part) - so you should check some more before you do something as permanent as a tattoo.
Reply from Russ Cable (Dallas, TX - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:44 pm

If you draw a blank, Becki, may I suggest that you have your phrase tattooed in Klingon? The macho sentiment you wish to display on your, er -- well, whatever it is you want to flaunt -- seems well suited for expression in the language of this imposing warrior race. So unlike the bookish overtones of the lingo of the peaceable, stay-at-home-in-their-five-foot-beds Romans!

Also, there are curently far more expert speakers of Klingon in the USA who would be able to assist you with a translation (and properly appreciate your tattoo when they see it on your, um, thingy) than there are of Latin. You'll need to verify this, of course, but I believe your phrase translates into something like "Grokh ungukkh shegrob xr pugstva tod yokh".
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 1:58 pm

You're assuming all the wrong things. Russ - I didn't just look up the words... I thought I was putting the right endings on but was wrong. Shows what 5 years of Latin yields. Erik- "macho sentiment"? It's ELEANOR ROOSEVELT. She may have been a lesbian, but that doesn't qualify this sentiment as remotely masculine. It's to be a reminder tattoo, not one to "flaunt." And if you think the Romans were bookish and stayed at home, you watch too much Sci-fi.
Reply from Becki Carr (Royal Oak - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:13 pm

How awful to go through life without a sense of humour.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC