polyfactoid

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

polyfactoid

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:49 am

FACTOID (proposed definition)– 1) unverified, untrue, or invented fact. "Spurious report or supposition" - Norman Mailer; "...Bush has 'lost' more than a million jobs....This is a factoid of questionable validity" – Colorado Springs Gazette. 2) Brief or trivial fact or news item See POLYFACTOID below.

POLYFACTOID – (thanks to Wizard of Oz) Compound FACTOID; entire phrase, sentence, or definition simultaneoulsy contradictory, redundant, and simply false

The entire statement, “...Bush has ‘lost’ more than a million jobs....This is a factoid of questionable validity” (Colorado Springs Gazette) is itself a polyfactoid. It is contradictory because if the factoid is questionable the statement becomes redundant; but if the factoid is true, the statement is false See FACTOID
Submitted by dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

polyfactoid

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:17 pm

Dale, If you are looking for a good weasel word, ‘quasi-factoid’ may do the job. Those who think ‘factoid’ means ‘trivial fact’ could interpret ‘quasi-factoid’ as something that resembles a fact but really isn’t – and thus false! Those who think that ‘factoid’ still has its original meaning of a spurious or questionable ‘fact’ could interpret ‘quasi-factoid’ as something that resembles a spurious ‘fact’ but really isn’t – and thus true! And then everybody’s happy. (<:)

Ken – October 22, 2004

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

polyfactoid

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:32 pm

Ken: Yes, Bush statement definitely factoid; but all politics aside, Gazette statement polyfactoid; redundant in original def: "This [foregoing] unverified statement is an unverified statement"
False or contradictory by the new def: "This brief or trivial but true news report is unverified"
not only for the obvious reason that all true reports have been verified but because the factoid under discussion doesn't constitute a short news item (though I would agree with you that it is trivial and that it won't be verified)

Thus the Gazette item is a true polyfactoid. I am so tickled by WoZ' new word I shall include it in my upcoming neologism lexicon because it fulfils a need in the Mother Tongue

Carrying this whole thing a step further (begging your indulgence), "factoid" is rapidly taking on a third meaning, further diluting our otherwise marvelous Language: Any statement whatever; opinion or news item; true, questionable, or false; trivial or important; brief or long
So "factoid" has altogether lost its utility and should be replaced by " assertion," "quotation", "item," etc, as approprite
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

polyfactoid

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:44 pm

.. thought I would transfer my origninal post over to this entry so as it can be accessed >>>>

.. maybe "polyfactoid" would be a better word .. with /poly/ having the dual reference to "many" and "politician" joined to Mailers original idea that if something is repeated often enough then it becomes a fact .. incidently this "word" could become googled .. as much as "polyfactoid" has simply been made up as a bit of a laugh, it can take on a life of its own with the power of Google and no greater authority than the old WoZ .. *smile* .. so how does this look >>>>

polyfactoid: n "An entire phrase, sentence, or definition which is simultaneoulsy contradictory, redundant, and simply false." (Particularly used in relation to politicians campaign speeches.)

Ent: [From "poly" Gk poulos, "many" and "factoid" (qv). Posssibly also from Midddle English "polytyk" - "political".

.. hook is baited now wait for bites on google .. *laughs* ..

WoZ of Aus 22/10/04
Reply from Wizard of Oz (Newcastle - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

polyfactoid

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:58 pm

Woz: Thank you again, profusely, for "polyfactoid" which I am incorporating as one of only three words [so far] in my slangdict qualifying as an poptile ultrasuperneologisticism [honestly, I am]
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC