pronunciation of letter names

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:34 am

Why does the pronunciation of letter names vary between different English speaking groups:
eg j rhyming with k (England) but j rhyming with i (Scotland)
Submitted by Peter Williams (Clitheroe - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:49 am

Hear Professor Higgin's take on that conundrum in "My Fair Lady!" *G*

Reply from Leif Thorvaldson (Eatonville - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:03 am

Or Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald in "Let's call the whole thing off". Mind you, whoever actually says 'po-TAH-to"?
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:17 am

Certainly not Gollum.
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:32 am

I don't think many would agree that Scots speak English! Speaking to an elderly Scotsman years ago, who still said 'slaunt' for 'slant',he explained it thus:
In scottish schools when he was a child, words were spelled out in their component sounds and then pronounced. e.g. "rrr, ar, tay, - rat; fff, ar, tay,-fat". Accounting for rolled 'r's' as well as long 'a's'.
These sounds presumably got identified as names of letters; as in "fff, i, tay, - fit". "eye" being more suitable to the letter y than i. Since j is a modern letter (long i), the Scots pronunciation is probably the older. Incidentally, w being the only letter pronounced with three syllables might conveniently be reduced to 'dub', the printers' use of twin u's or v's being archaic. The English 'double-u' and French 'double-vee' are relics. 'z' was changed by Webster or someone to the American 'zee', whereas everyone in England calls it 'zed' (and formerly 'izzard').
Reply from John Barton (New Plymouth - New Zealand)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:46 am

.. they only changed zed (correct) to zee (incorrect) .. *grin* .. so it would rhyme in the common children's ABC song for Sesame Street and thus polluting the minds of generations of young Aussies ..
WoZ of Aus 22/10/04
Reply from Wizard of Oz (Newcastle - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC