Don't squeeze the Charmin

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:25 am

...of toilet paper deliveries to actor Dick
Wilson, who for 25 years exhorted customers not to squeeze the Charmin

($100 invested at 7% interest for 100 years will become $100,000 ... [www.ifindkarma.com])

What is a Charmin, why should we not squeeze it?

Submitted by dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:39 am

Dale, I’ll make you a deal. First you tell me what’s and an Oxydol, a Kodak, a Brillo, a Palmolive, a Frisbie, a Motorola, . . . And what does “$100 invested at 7% interest for 100 years will become $100,000 ... [www.ifindkarma.com]) have to do with the price of milk?? And, boy, what a authoritative website that is – you’ve got to be kidding. What kind of junk are you using for references?

Ken – August 29, 2004
Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:53 am

1. I thought that Charmin must be a trade name. But the expression still escapes me; why would anybody want to squeeze Toilet paper?

2. "$100 invested at 7%...." is the title of the file containing the quote. But thanks for the correction, in case I should ever have $100 to invest
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:22 am

Dale, The idea on the Charmin was that it was irresistibly soft and that fussbudget Mr. Whipple, the supermarket manager who was constantly warning customers to ‘Please don’t squeeze the Chamin,’ himself took a squeeze whenever no one was looking.

I just had a brainstorm on the possible origin (although not the ‘meaning’!) of the name Charmin. Could it be that this was the brainchild of some advertising wonk who reasoned that ‘charming’ with the ‘g’ dropped and the ‘soft’ ‘ch’ pronunciation,’ might be a good name for toilet paper (sending out good vibes where you need them)? (<:)

Ken G – August 30, 2004
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:37 am

I have always thought that these commercials were advertising the wrong property of the TP - "squeezably" soft is not a property I care about, I want "rub-ably" soft TP. Sandpaper with a foam backing would be even more squeezable than Charmin, but I wouldn't want to use it for TP.

Reply from Russ Cable (Dallas, TX - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:51 am

I’m for ‘soft’– hard toilet paper sounds unappealing! But someone should have told Mr. Whipple that the ‘squeezably soft’ of a roll of TP has more to do with the stiffness of the cylinder it is wrapped on than the paper itself.

Ken G– August 20, 2004

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:05 am

Captain Crunch: No matter how I squeeze the Charmin, I can't get rid of the crunch berries, what's a Cap'n to do?
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:20 am

Have you heard of John Wayne toilet paper?
It's rough, it's tough and it don't shit from nobody!!!
Reply from Gary Wallington (Akolele - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:34 am

Coincidentally, I just read that the other Mr. Whipple died today at the age of 97. Distinguish astronomer, Fred Whipple, first correctly described comets as ‘dirty snowballs,’ but had nothing to do with the kitchen cleanser ad slogan “please don’t squeeze the Comet.” (<:) He revolutionized the study of comets in 1950-51 when he proposed they were small bodies made of rock, dust, and ice as opposed to the earlier belief that they were a flying cloud of particles. Whipple also made contributions in the fields of variable stars, galaxies, stellar evolution, supernovas, the interstellar medium, radio astronomy and astronomical instrumentation. The six comets he discovered were named after him as well as the Smithsonian’s astrophysical observatory – The Fred Lawrence Whipple Observatory.

Ken G – August 31, 2004
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:49 am

Also used in a 1968 country song...Please don't squeeze my Charmin...
Reply from Jim Taylor (Summerside - Romania)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC