adunare

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

adunare

Post by Archived Topic » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:01 am

I'm on an eternal quest for a name for my business. I do both freelance writing and graphic design, and am looking for something that integrates both. Integrare and integro were on my list but are already used.

So what comes to mind when hearing Adunare? Adunare Word and Design. Adunare: Communication through Word and Design.

Adunare would serve as the business name. Word and design would serve as a slugline.

In Latin adunare means unite, integrate. In Italian it means to join, come together. In Romanian it means assembly, collection.

Does anyone know of anything negative related to this word? Any thoughts at all?
Submitted by D L (Watertown - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

adunare

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:15 am

D L, The first thing that I thought of when I saw it was that it looks a lot like it means ORDINARY!

Ken G – August 24, 2004

P.S. Seems like this might better have been discussed under ‘Public Scribe’ (writer and usage queries) rather than ‘Word or Phrase Origins.’

Ken G – August 24, 2004

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

adunare

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:29 am

D L, the number of Americans who would recognise 'adunare' as Latin, let alone the number who know what it actually means, probably represents less than 0.05% of the population of the USA.

The next point relates to how people would pronounce it. Would they say AH-dun-AIR, ad-you-NAIR, uh-DYOU-naree, ad-un-ARE, or what? It strikes me as being a real head-scratcher for most people, which would force you to explain what the name of your company means right at the outset of your dealings with your clients, suppliers etc. This hardly seems like an ideal way to create a good first impression, especially if you have already made the people concerned somewhat peeved from the get-go as a result of being made to feel foolish through your selection of a company name that is too outlandish for them to pronounce confidently.

Thirdly, _you_ might appreciate the perception that your chosen word suggests a combination of freelance writing and graphic design, but - trust me - that is not what your customers will be doing. They will mostly be thinking, "Huh?"

Fourthly, a name that resounds strangely in people's ears will not be memorable. You will not want people to recall your enterprise as "that company with the weird foreign name,'ad'-something-or-other".

I don't have much in the way of specific name suggestions to replace yours, but I think you will do much better if you primarily focus on creating an image that will be meaningful to your prospective clients rather than to you. Perhaps 'Pictographia'?

Sorry to dwell on these negative points, but I really believe you should rethink the name.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

adunare

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:44 am

Try this; "Graphics & Drafts Inc."

Another; "Grafts & Drafts Inc."

Another; "Pics & Text Inc."

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

adunare

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:58 am

Grafts and Drafts. How cool is that?!! Very cool! What a good idea! Thank you!

Any logo ideas?
Reply from D L (Watertown - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

adunare

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:13 am

At this point I start the meter running.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

adunare

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:27 am

I expect DL would prefer to avoid taxies.
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

adunare

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 8:41 am

You are suggesting they are a lo-go area for DL?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC