standing on the shoulders of giants

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:51 am

We like to treat gravity with levity.
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:05 am

Therefore we should not ignore the fact that although (or perhaps because) Newton's father died before he was born, Newton still irrationally entertained the notion that “If I have seen Father, it is by standing on the shoulders of my aunts”.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:20 am

Yes, and it was the aunts who planted the notion in his head that an apple a day remains at rest unless someone from outside eats it, and it was Newton who took this wonderful down-home aphorism and transformed it into something of absolutely no practical value – at least that’s what his mother and aunts said who always encouraged him by complaining, “you’ll never amount to anything you nogoodnick, you spend too much time thinking – why don’t stop daydreaming and do something useful – get a job or something you bum” To which he replied that “hags at rest ought to remain at rest unless told not to by some intelligent outside force.” And when his aunts screamed at him and said that his was an ungrateful reaction to kindly advice, young Isaac just screamed right back, “for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction” – and so it went. And, in fact, in the latest issue of ‘Nature’ it was revealed that a recent test of the above-quoted Hooke letter of 1675 / 1676, using a scanning electron microscope, showed conclusively that what Newton had actually originally written, before he thought better, and rewrote it was, “If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of Witches.” (<:)

Ken – August 28, 2004

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:34 am

Justice was harsh in those days. One man got a long stretch for breaking Hooke's Law.
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 5:49 am

Edwin, And talk about inflexible. The ancient Greeks had it even worse with Procrustes as their Aschroftian enforcer!

Ken – August 30, 2004

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:03 am

Mind you, even they didn't sink to the depths of hanging Chads.
Reply from Edwin Ashworth (Oldham - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:17 am

Erik,
What I want to know is how Newton's father died before he was born. I thought all that stuff only started with Einstein.
Reply from Phil White (Munich - Germany)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:32 am

Phil, Which reminds me, I actually traveled back in time and murdered my paternal grandfather, but, through the wonders of parallel universes, which have existed before anyone thought about them – in fact, for eternity – I’m here today to tell the tale! (<:)

Ken – September 4, 2004

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:46 am

Well, Phil, Newton's father died well before Einstein either started or ended.

Does that answer your query?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC