mysography

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

mysography

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:17 pm

Recently, encouraged by favourable noises from friends and acquaintances I have started promoting my graphic artwork on-line. However, when approaching more traditional art dealers or agents I have encountered reluctance to accept my work, simply because my chosen medium is the computer. I have therefore invented a new term for my artwork: Mysography. I am now a proud Mysographer, and I'm sure that the world will flock to purchase my limited-edition Mysographs. The word, by the way, is based on the Greek "mys", meaning "mouse".

You can see my Mysographic works at http://simonbeck.artistportfolio.net and even purchase them through my on-line agent, http://www.imageandnature.com.
Submitted by Simon Beck (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

mysography

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:32 pm

Simon, Very nice work and best of luck.

Ken – August 9, 2004

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

mysography

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:46 pm

I liked most of the works publihed on your site. I am not so sure about the name, though. I know that in 'misogenist', 'miso' has a negative role therefore 'women-hater'. 'Mysographic' looks so very close to 'Misographic'. Sorry for spoiling your day.

P.S. And why 'mouse' anyways? And why does honesty look like gooseberries?
Reply from Julie Kay (Bronnitsy - Russia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

mysography

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:01 pm

Thanks for your kind comments, Ken!

Julie - Firstly, why "mouse"? Simply because that's what I draw with - a computer mouse. Secondly, I had indeed considered the similarity between "mis-" (disliking) and "mys" (mouse) and decided that I could cope with it. I certainly have nothing against women or anyone else! Thirdly, there is nothing symbolic about the "Honesty" image - it depicts the strange flat seed-pods of a flowering plant called Honesty, which are often dried (they go a silvery colour) and used in flower arrangements. My picture is of fresh ones.
Reply from Simon Beck (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

mysography

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:15 pm

Simon,
re Honesty - I should have read the decription first. On seeing the picture, the first association that sprang to my mind was that of gooseberries.

'Myso' is OK, but not that self-evident nowadays bcs more people involved in graphics use all kinds of DrawPads or whatever.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

mysography

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:29 pm

Simon: I like it too. The day it has gained enough support for a dozen or so hits, I promise herewith to incorporate it in my dictionary of neologisms
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

mysography

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:44 pm

I agree with Dale. Yours is clearly an art form that requires a specific designation. Because of the fact that the prefixes 'mys-' and 'mis-' are both spelt and spoken differently, I don't think there will be much confusion except among those who are given to enjoying self-inflicted provocation.

Good luck with your venture!
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

mysography

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:58 pm

I have done some reseacrh and found 'mysophobia'. At first I thought that it was some kind of 'fear of rodents' but found it was 'a morbid fear of dirt or contamination'. If so, are 'mice' cogeneric with 'dirt'?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC