nineteen hundreds

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Topic » Thu May 06, 2004 1:13 pm

We usually give names to the decades. Example for instance are, the gay nineties, the swinging sixties, the twenties, the fifties, the nineteen hundreds. What should we call the current decade? Your suggestions please.

Also should we say two thousand and one, or twenty-o-one for 2001. After all we said Nineteen-o-one and not one thousand nine hundred and one, for 1901.
Submitted by Melvyn Goodman (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 1:27 pm

What about "the naughties"?
Reply from Natalio Elta (Paris - France)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 1:41 pm

Very nice Natalio.
15-Nov-01 (really this time)
Reply from Ian Patrick (Ottawa - Canada)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 1:56 pm

I haven't yet heard or seen a GOOD description of this decade. Some of the suggestions I've come across include "the Oohs," "the Naughts" (or Natalio's suggestion of "the Naughties"), or "the Double-ohs." None of them really seem to flow off the tongue very well, though.

As to the "two thousand and one" versus "twenty-oh-one," I think that's simply a carryover from year 2000, which we all called "two thousand" rather than "twenty-hundred." It just sounds strange to use "twenty-hundred," not only in dates, but in other numerical expressions. For example, we might tell someone we paid "forty-nine-hundred" for a used car, but we'd probably say "five thousand" rather than "fifty-hundred." Since we all got used to "two thousand" for year 2000, I think we're still doing that with 2001 (and 2002 and . . .). I think we'll eventually get tired of "two thousand and X" and we'll shorten it to "twenty-oh-X" instead. My guess is that, some 50 years from now, some old-timer will say something like, "Why, I remember way back in twenty-aught-seven . . . ."

I'm still hoping SOMEONE will come up with a really good term for this decade. Natalio's suggestion is good, but I really don't think it'll catch on. Now maybe if we can get Tom Brokaw or Dan Rather to start using it, everyone else will follow suit! *G*

Nov. 15, 2001
Reply from K Allen Griffy (Springfield, IL - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 2:10 pm

As long as it doesn't have 2k in it I will be pleased. 15-Nov-01
Reply from Ian Patrick (Ottawa - Canada)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 2:25 pm

Actually, I think we got used to "two thousand and one" from the movie, "2001: A Space Odyssey." And didn't most of those decade names like "Gay Nineties" come about after the fact (or at least during the decade), when people had some sense of the tenor of the decade?

Nov. 15, 2001
Reply from Lois Martin (Birmingham, AL - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 2:39 pm

Perhaps so, Lois. But I do recall that the label for the so-called 'caring nineties' gained currency pretty early on in the last decade, at least in Britain.

That was all part of the 'new man' fad, whose promoters mistakenly believed that encouraging men to change their children's nappies while proactively seeking to honour their feminine side, challenge prevailing masculine hegemonies and reaffirm their inner selves would somehow overpower human beings' baser impulses and the values of free market capitalism.

Remember when Flower Power and the Hippy Revolution was going to change the world for the better in a similar manner in the 60s and 70s?

Alas, human nature will not be thus denied. As Bertie Wooster once observed in relation to his aunts: "Sooner or later, out pops the cloven hoof".
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 2:53 pm

Maybe we shall soon be saying " I remember asking the Word Wizard this question in Oh-One"
Reply from Melvyn Goodman (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 3:08 pm

Nobody ever remembers the Word Wizard being asked anything. That is why we keep getting the pestiferous 'gry' question, among others!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 3:22 pm

I am positive the question of the "oughties" was previously discussed here. However, it was probably one of those questions where the word in question was mentioned in the comment, e.g., "Word Origin?" or some slight idiocy like that and is unrecoverable by search except item by item. The "Nineties" should have been referred to as the "Age of Narcissism." And the period from 1960 to 200? as the "Age of the Screaming Me-Me's."
Reply from Leif Thorvaldson (Eatonville - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 3:37 pm

The discussion you refer to, Leif, is entitled Oh zero, my hero.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 3:51 pm

Quite right, Erik! I have it installed, but in a recent computer catharsis, it got disappeared and I forgot all about this valuable tool. Thanks for reminding me!
Reply from Leif Thorvaldson (Eatonville - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

nineteen hundreds

Post by Archived Reply » Thu May 06, 2004 4:05 pm

Can anyone tell me what the names for the 70s 80s and 90s are?

Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC