W-Trouble

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

W-Trouble

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Is it my flatscreen, or does the font in which these comments are shown cause the middles of double-ewes to vanish? Much of the WordWizard website is not in this font, but the Clubhouse postings seem to be. Anyone else have trouble with the w's?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: W-Trouble

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:32 pm

OOPS....this is in the wrong place. I guess it should be deleted or moved to "Questions and Comments about this site".
Sorry.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:32 pm

I don't have the problem, but then again, I designed the site and I can see very little!

In fact, the font used is the standard font used with the forum software that drives the site. Depending on what fonts you have installed on your machine, you may be seeing one of the following: Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif. The first one of these fonts that your browser finds (in that order) is the one it uses in the posts (and on most of the rest of the site). I am using a modern Windows operating system, so I am seeing Trebuchet MS. If you are using a Mac or some of the Safari for Windows browsers, you will be seeing Lucida Grande. If you are using an older Windows system, it will probably be Verdana or even Arial for very old systems. Older Mac systems and Unix systems will probably show Helvetica. If all else fails, you will see the default sans serif font for your system.

I have just tested all of them online, and none seem to have the problem you describe. Try zooming your browser up or down a step or two (Ctrl + "+" or "-" on the numeric keypad with most modern browsers). That will usually work wonders if you are browsing the Web with a small screen running at high resolution.

If you really want to know what font you are actually seeing, there are a number of ways to do it, but they are rather for the geeks. If you are a geek, try using the Element Inspector in Firefox (or equivalent tool in other browsers) and looking for the underlined entry for the current font-family property. Or download one of the several add-ons that will allow you just to right-click on text to see what the font is.

If anyone is wonering; indeed, if anyone cares, the rather magnificent font used in the site banner is Sorts Mill Goudy, which is a Google font that is downloaded to your machine the first time you visit the site.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Thank you, Phil!
Zooming both up a step and down a step fixed it.
While looking for the Firefox Element Inspector, I found the Toggle reader view F9 button, which renders your reply very large and readable.
I'd kind-of forgotten that I am somewhat in charge of screen-appearance.
Thanks for your help!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:25 am

gdwdwrkr wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm
While looking for the Firefox Element Inspector, I found the Toggle reader view F9 button, which renders your reply very large and readable.
Yes, that is rather superb! The function is also available in the toolbar (if it is available on the Web page). Look for the book icon to the right of the address box in Firefox. In some cases, but not all, you can get rid of ads and even annoying requests to turn off your ad blocker by switching to reader mode.

As far as the Element Inspector (in Firefox) is concerned, right click on the bit of the web site you want to know about and choose "Inspect Element". This opens a pane at the bottom of the window which contains huge amounts of information on the HTML code and the CSS used. If you know about that sort of stuff, you will find your way around pretty quickly, if not, not. For the life of me, I cannot remember whether you have to explicitly enable the Developer Tools for all of these goodies to become available.
If you know what you are doing, there are some neat tricks. For instance, if a page you have found in Google is hidden behind an ad blocker blocker that obscures the page, you can use the Element Inspector to work out what is the container element for the ad blocker blocker and set its "visibility" property to "hidden". Only worth it if you are really interested in reading the page but really don't want the ads, as you have to do it for every such page and every time you visit it.

p.s. I forgot that reader view does not work very well with the forum software. Sometimes you see the whole thread, sometimes just what appears to be a random post from a thread. I can't see any rhyme or reason to it. Same thing happens on some news sites, i.e. bits of articles missing and so on. Reader View generally works well with Wordpress blogs. Most other things are a bit hit and miss.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:35 pm

I have found Reader View to be as quirky as you said it is...at the time of my discovery of it, your first reply was the object of interest. Now I find that that post is the onliest post it goes to!
And I have inadvertently opened the Element Inspector in the past, only to recoil at its ugliness, like seeing the car with the pretty sheet-metal removed; now, when I advertently open it, I can only be in awe of those of you who know what-you're-looking-at!
Thanks again.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Just a follow-up on Reader View:

I researched around a little last night, and found that the way that Reader View works is shrouded in mystery. It uses an "intelligent algorithm" to work out what the actual content of the page is and discards the rest. There are ways of nudging the algorithm in the right direction, but Mozilla are keeping pretty stumm on details, presumably to avoid Web designers from forcing junk to be shown.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by gdwdwrkr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Well it's working in this case, for your post is the only intelligent part of this thread!
Is stumm mum?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:29 am

You worried me!

At first, I thought "he's taking the piss. Everyone knows 'stumm'". Then I thought that it may be one of those things that expat Brits in Germany use and nobody else understands.

When I didn't find it on OneLook, I got really alarmed. Finally I found out that it us variously spelled "shtum", "schtum", "shtoom", con variationi. "stumm" is the German word (with German spelling) for "silent" or "dumb".

Never occurred to me it would be spelled differently in English. Thinking about it, I know it from London dialect (Cockney), and "keep shtum" was a staple of 1970s crime dramas on TV. Most of the East London dialects are heavily influenced by Yiddish, which is how the term entered the language.

I'm not sure I have ever heard it in American crime films, so it would be interesting to find out from you guys how widespread it is.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:11 am

I never heard of it.
Mum's the word.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:58 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:11 am
I never heard of it.
Mum's the word.
Same here.

As I get older I'm finding it much easier to read on-line if I increase the font size. And different fonts do need different sizes! The local newspaper needs to be increased much more than what I need for most - including WW. I don't understand the people who think they need all caps - that just makes it harder to read.

I wonder - is increasingly poor eyesight an occupational hazard for those of us who love to read?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:20 pm

BonnieL wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:58 pm
I wonder - is increasingly poor eyesight an occupational hazard for those of us who love to read?
On a serious note, all the research I have seen or heard of says a clear "no". Reading per se does not damage eyesight. As far as I can gather, the jury is still out in respect of exposure to computer screens, in particular the old CRT screens.
Fact is, we are simply all growing too old for our eyes. The most common causes of sight loss (glaucoma, AMD and cataracts - which are operable) are all closely related to ageing. And the need for reading glasses as of middle age is also nothing new. Eyes have not evolved to cope with the greater ages we are all living to.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Non sum felix lepus

Post by trolley » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:38 pm

I resisted getting a pair of readers for the first few years. I just had to keep holding the book further and further away. It worked well for a while...but then, without warning, my arms seemed to be getting shorter.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Returning to the checkout island near the garden department, I asked the clerk, just after her shift-change, if the chrysanthemum I'd been permitted to leave on the counter while I finished shopping was anywhere around...I couldn't see it. Together we searched, and I spied it on the floor behind the counter.
"There it is!" I said.
"Oh, no," she said, "that's a mum."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:09 am

gdwdwrkr wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:28 pm
Returning to the checkout island near the garden department, I asked the clerk, just after her shift-change, if the chrysanthemum I'd been permitted to leave on the counter while I finished shopping was anywhere around...I couldn't see it. Together we searched, and I spied it on the floor behind the counter.
"There it is!" I said.
"Oh, no," she said, "that's a mum."
(Pregnant pause...)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS