Aubergine

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Aubergine

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:50 pm

Until I had two cataract operations I had been colour blind for my whole life. I saw things in colour, but not always the same colour as other people, so I have never taken a lot of interest in the subject, but now that I see the world the same way as most people I am sometimes surprised. I tell you this because of a train of thought that crossed my mind today. There is a vegetable that we in the UK call an aubergine; across the Pond it is known as ab egg plant. We have a colour, aubergine; what is it called over there?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Aubergine

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:04 pm

Good question, Bob. It never really came up when I lived there, so I resorted to a quick search online.

This Wikipedia article suggests that what the British call aubergine is known as both aubergine and eggplant in the USA. The way the description is phrased implies that 'eggplant' is in more common use than 'aubergine':
Eggplant is a dark purple[1] or brownish-purple[2] color that resembles the color of the outer skin of European eggplants.[3] Another name for the color eggplant is aubergine[2] (the French, German and British English word for eggplant).

The first recorded use of eggplant as a color name in English was in 1915.[4]

The pinkish-purple-grayish color shown in the color box as eggplant was introduced by Crayola in 1998.[5]
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Aubergine

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Thank you Erik.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC