A vocab test

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

A vocab test

Post by tony h » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:03 pm

http://vocabulary.ugent.be

A vocab test from Ghent Uni
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: A vocab test

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 am

.. final call was 80% >> 87% - 2 words I called in when they were out .. damn lineman !! .. of the seven words I missed I looked long and hard at 4 of them but total miss on 3 ..

WoZ feeling wordly
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:27 pm

Who decides on when a string passes the word-test? (Though I admit I shot the wrong way on some and guessed on others.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:55 pm

Edwin F Ashworth wrote:Who decides on when a string passes the word-test? (Though I admit I shot the wrong way on some and guessed on others.)
If you look at the lists at the end (of passes and fails) it identifies the dictionary references. I got a 91 (being a 94 with one non-word) and a couple of the fails were on words which had a very limited usage.
It seems to be any word in any of a number of online dictionaries - but I could well be wrong.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Somehow, I think that "hoppergrass" (as a "real" word...meaning grasshopper) would only be accepted in a limited geographical area.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:02 am

tony h wrote:It seems to be any word in any of a number of online dictionaries - but I could well be wrong.
I think that's basically correct. If you click on the link to see the definition of any of the words in the sets you were presented with, you will be taken straight to the corresponding page of thefreedictionary.com.

I agree with Trolley that the selection can be rather eccentric. For instance, one time it included matzot (the type of Jewish cracker) in the list of real words which I was shown, which is only one of about half a dozen possible spellings; I feel it is asking rather a lot to expect the average person to be familiar with all six of them.

It also scores +1 for a correctly identified real word, but -3 for a made-up word that is incorrectly identified as real. So the resulting percentage of 'words identified' needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

And yes, I complained. :-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:53 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:
tony h wrote: I agree with Trolley that the selection can be rather eccentric. For instance, one time it included matzot (the type of Jewish cracker) in the list of real words which I was shown, which is only one of about half a dozen possible spellings; I feel it is asking rather a lot to expect the average person to be familiar with all six of them.
I didn't realise there were so many variations in spelling.
Erik_Kowal wrote:
tony h wrote: And yes, I complained. :-)
So did I :)

I got some results from people with whom I work and for those the results tended to be in the 60s and some in the 70s.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC