E-Mail '@' Symbol

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

E-Mail '@' Symbol

Post by JANE DOErell » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:00 pm

Just an FWIW. I thought it interesting. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/40220850/ ... d_gadgets/
Post actions:

Re: E-Mail '@' Symbol

Post by Phil White » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:50 pm

At the risk of being annoying, "Affenschwanz" (monkey's tail) tends to be used in Switzerland rather than Germany. "Klammeraffe" (spider monkey) is by far the most common word in Germany, insofar as it is not just called "at" (pronounced "et").

Interesting nevertheless, particularly bearing in mind our tacit assumption that the sign was in international use prior to 1971.

Apparently, it's generally referred to as "manki" in Croatia, deriving from the local pronunciation of "monkey".

The Wikihas an extensive list for the accuracy of which I would not like to vouch.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:59 am

For latecomers to the 24/7/365 party that is this website, there's also a lengthy Wordwizard thread on the subject.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by dante » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:11 am

Interesting Jane.
I call it "ludo a" which means "crazy a" and for all I know, that's the most commonly used term for that symbol informally, although I often hear "majmunče" ( a little monkey) too. It's interesting that the article you linked to seems to imply that "ludo a" is used sporadically.
In "Wiki" article that Phil linked to, "ludo a" is mentioned first, which I guess implies that it's the most frequently used expression for the symbol, which agrees with my opinion.
It's interesting also that both articles fail to mention that the internationally used word "at" is also commonly used in Serbian to refer to the symbol.(pronounced "et"). It's how the symbol is called on formal occasions, on television etc.
I'll do a little investigation on this and let you know about the results :)
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 am

dante wrote:It's interesting also that both articles fail to mention that the internationally used word "at" is also commonly used in Serbian to refer to the symbol.(pronounced "et").
Somehow you must have missed the following in the MSNBC article:

"Local pronunciations of the English where other languages dominate include "et" for "a" in Serbian and "ah-te" (think Ted without the d) in mainland China."
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by dante » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:29 am

Sorry, I overlooked that sentence. Thanks for the correction Erik.
Post actions:

Post by JANE DOErell » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:57 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:For latecomers to the 24/7/365 party that is this website, there's also a lengthy Wordwizard thread on the subject.
This time I actually remembered to do a search and was overwhelmed with 55 thousand hits. How did you narrow the search?
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:00 pm

I searched for "commercial at" (2 hits). After that, it was just a question of ploughing through the results until I found the thread I wanted.
Post actions:

End of topic.