How does one pronounce the name Schygulla?

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

How does one pronounce the name Schygulla?

Post by JANE DOErell » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:18 pm

How does one pronounce the name Schygulla as in Hanna Schygulla?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0778016/
Post actions:

Re: How does one pronounce the name Schygulla?

Post by zmjezhd » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:15 pm

I'd pronounce the y as though it was a ü in German. And the a as a schwa /ə/.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:21 pm

You'll hear it in Czech (she was born in Silesia) at around 10 seconds in this clip.
As far as I can hear, it approximates to "anna shigool".

She is, however, German speaking, and you will hear the German pronunciation at about 39 seconds in this clip. It is as I would expect it in German, namely with the "y" as an "i" (/ɪ/) (stressed) the "u" as an "oo" (/ʊ/)(stressed) and the final "a" pronounced (/ɑ/). It approximates to "haanna shigoola".

I cannot say which pronunciation - if either - she favours.
Last edited by Phil White on Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Stress corrected in German
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by dante » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:49 pm

Ok,as a Slav I guess I'm most competent to answer this one :) I'm the one with the answer finally:)
(strange thing with this Czech for Serbian speakers is that you don't understand anything and then you understand absolutely everything:).Strange but true.Some phrases are almost completely identical to Serbian)

He says: "jednu od naših najvažnijih...na ..FebioFestu,Hanu Sheegoolu

..one of our most renowned (actresses,I guess) on (this year's,I guess) ..FebioFest

He must have said "Let me introduce" or something similar before the part I wrote above,it only make sense in the context.
The point here is that he said Hanu Sheegoolu but the name is in the same accusative case we have in Serbian (which inflection happens in the situation when you're identifying a person or a thing you did something to,perceived him/her or similar.When you're answering the questions Who? or What?,as in: You've seen whom? I've seen Hanu Shigoolu,the direct object will be in accusative)

So,long story short,her name is pronounced Hana Sheegoola (nominative case,which is the basic form of nouns,the case you can say is the only one existing in English.Don't you dare mention genitive here,it's quite peripheral use and not a case at all :)
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:57 pm

dante wrote:So,long story short,her name is pronounced Hana Sheegoola
Unless she prefers the German pronunciation, which, as she was from German-speaking Silesia, seems to make sense. But thanks for the clarification.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Phil White wrote:You'll hear it in Czech (she was born in Silesia) at around 10 seconds in this clip.
As far as I can hear, it approximates to "anna shigool".
Most of Silesia is in Poland, not Slovakia, the Czech Republic or Czechoslovakia (though admittedly, national borders in Central Europe have moved around quite a bit over the centuries).

There is a Polish surname, Szczegóła, whose pronunciation can be approximated for English speakers as shcheGOOuh, and which may have been the ultimate source of the actress's surname. However, it is normal for the pronunciation and spelling of exotic words to be modified either by and/or for the benefit of speakers who live elsewhere than in the place of origin of those words. (There also exists the surname Szagola, whose national origin I am unsure of.)

So there is no 'right' answer; in the case of Hanna Schygulla, the most authentic pronunication is the one she uses.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Phil White » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:58 pm

My mistake, she was born in Poland (Katowice). I was misled by the video.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:14 am

I found a website devoted to the correct pronunciation of names at http://inogolo.com/about. Many of the entries include audio clips to allow visitors to hear the name in question. Unfortunately, the one for Schygulla only comes with an approximate phonetic transcription (rendered on the site as 'shee-GOO-lah').

Incidentally, I noticed that the website operator last updated his site with new names in January 2010, so who knows how long it will continue to be available. I've emailed him to ask whether he intends to resume the updates (which must be an immense task).
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:22 am

If she went to live in WoZland, they would just call her Sheila and be done with it.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:31 am

A very good point. I'm surprised WoZ hasn't already mentioned it.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:08 am

The Website looks good, Erik, especially as it distinguishes pop music from art. However, it fails the Bowie test.
I tried to check up on the correct pronunciation of Bernstein after hearing an attribution on Classic FM yesterday, but I don't think the Website is detailed enough here either.
Am I right in thinking that Elmer was BURN-steen whereas Leonard was BURN-stine?
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:14 am

I think you're right about the Bernstein pronunciations.

You probably recall that we once covered 'Bowie' here. With at least three pronunciations, depending on who or what is being referred to, it's certainly one of the less straightforward cases.

It's probably inevitable that the Inogolo website will fall short with regard to certain individual entries. However, it does contain a metasearch engine that you can use to run simultaneous searches on a number of other websites devoted to pronunciation. Test it out at http://inogolo.com/websearch.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:24 am

Excellent. I see that many of the Bernsteins - in fact, almost every Bob, Sid and Harvey - are in Elmer's camp. (This from the reference http://www.loc.gov/nls/other/sayhow.html )
In the The Gift of the Gab posting, some mismatcher mused, "I wonder if Roger Wagner ever conducted Richard Wagner?"
Glenn McGrath playing Anthony McGrath might be seen as a bit of a mismatch.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:49 am

S D Poisson and R A Fisher might be seen as a bit of a mismath.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Speaking of mismatching, I've come across this exercise:

F) Match up the two halves of each sentence:

1 Many women delay...
2 These criminals deserve...
3 To improve your skills, practise...
4 He appears gentle but ends up...
5 The official policy is not to encourage...
6 This technique involves...

a ...removing the surface layer of the bone.
b ...doing harm.
c ...cycling on major roads.
d ...throwing and catching balls.
e ...having children until later in life.
f ...locking up.

(from Cobuild, unless I've been mis-ing-formed.)
Post actions: