Pizza

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Pizza

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:12 am

.. was out the other night having a pizza at a new restaurant .. pizzeria ??.. anyway I picked up a book to read while I was waiting and found the following quote in Italian .. or maybe in a Neopolitan dialect >>
"Noi Napoletani amme 'nventate 'a pizza ... e gli Ammericani in cambio cosa c'hanno dato? O scatole per transportala!
.. PhilH, any chance of telling me what it means ??

.. the book was confirming the claim that Naples is the birthplace of the pizza and that it is their gourmet gift to the world .. it was very scathing of many modern trends that have taken the pizza away from its basic roots ..

WoZ tucking into a Marinara
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Pizza

Post by zmjezhd » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:06 pm

"Noi Napoletani amme 'nventate 'a pizza ... e gli Ammericani in cambio cosa c'hanno dato? O scatole per transportala!

I'll take a stab at it. "We Neapolitans invented the pizza. And the Americans, what did they give us in exchange? A box to transport it in."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by russcable » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:59 pm

South America: We invented the tomato. And the Italians, what did they give us in exchange? A cracker to eat it on!
(^_^)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:02 am

.. Jim thanks for that .. I wasn't sure as that quote was elsewhere in the book but the Italian words were beside some pictures of Neopolitans eating .. I do like the sentiment ..

.. and now how does zmjezhd translate from Jim ??

WoZ wondering
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by zmjezhd » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:37 am

.. and now how does zmjezhd translate from Jim ??

WoZ, I pronounce James /'ʤeɪmz/. So, Zmjezhd is James spelled kind of phonemically backwards. That is if zh is a digraph for /ʒ/.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:39 am

.. ok .. right .. *grin* .. well you do live in California ..

ZoW
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by zmjezhd » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:21 am

well you do live in California

;) I used to register myself as Jim, but there are quite of few of them going round on the web and in the Real World, so I needed to come up with something that was unique and easy for me to remember. (For example, if you google zmjezhd, the ten or so pages of ghits all refer to me, but the same experiment with WoZ the first couple of pages are all about Steve "Woz" Wozniak, co-founder of Apple.) I used to use the login name jheem (a facetious Sanskritized pronunciation of Jim) but then I discovered an Indian doctor with that name, so I dropped it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:25 am

.. Jim is nothing sacred !! .. what a bloody upstart this Wozniak bloke is pinching my name .. and taking over Google to relegate me to cyber knows where ..

WoZ on page 3241
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by rebalias » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Anyone have any really good pizza recipes? I am so tired of the normal Italian pizzas. I have made a greek pizza, bbq pizza, taco pizza and buffalo chicken pizza. I would love any other ideas.
Last edited by Erik_Kowal on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to remove spam URLs in signature area. User account is deactivated.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Try searching online for pizza recipe.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:30 pm

Oldham. We invented the tubular bandage.
Which might come in useful if you insist on tackling a leaning tower of pizza.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by PhilHunt » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:13 pm

Rebalias, if you're bored with traditional pizza, try a 'trouser leg'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: That which we cannot speak of, must be passed over in silence...or else tweeted.

Post by John Barton » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:05 am

There is a theory that pizza is not even an Italian word:
When mass-production started, the bases were sliced on a huge bacon-slicer from a big sausage of dough. In setting the thickness, this was computed as the height of a a very short cylinder, using the formula for the volume of a cylinder as disc area X height. With a radius 'z' and height 'a'. Whence:
Volume of pizza = pi . z.z.a.
But a few traditionalists still call them pirrhs.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: John Barton, New Plymouth, New Zealand
http://www.freewebs.com/caliban5/

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:51 am

.. John I love it !! .. my most favourite mathematician in the world, my wife, will now have a greater delight in eating a mathematical formula with every pizza ..

WoZ who prefers a margherita
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC