is it a word

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

is it a word

Post by Given » Fri May 12, 2006 11:43 am

i was looking up the word dictorial and coildnt find it.is it actually a word??
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

is it a word

Post by tony h » Fri May 12, 2006 1:24 pm

I assume you mean "dictatorial", or were you asking is "dictorial" a word as well
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

is it a word

Post by tony h » Fri May 12, 2006 1:28 pm

PS. I missed the opportunity to say "it" is actually a word - tee hee!
PPS. To avoid the wrath of GOMs like me try and use the shift key you will get a capital result
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

is it a word

Post by Shelley » Fri May 12, 2006 1:43 pm

No, Given, "dictorial" is not a word: the fact that you couldn't find it in a dictionary search would have been a clue. If I'm looking for a word and can't find it right away, I try variations on my spelling -- adding and/or deleting letters -- the word I'm looking for usually turns up, with its correct spelling and definition.
You may be thinking of dictatorial, which is an adjective defining someone who is bossy, or (mis)uses power to force others to his or her will.
(Here at Wordwizard, someone is bound to come along to tell us that I'm a total nincompoop, and "dictorial" is indeed a word and furthermore will provide several cases of its use from time immemorial.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

is it a word

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon May 22, 2006 4:29 pm

Shelley, guess what ........ no just joking but our friend, given, may also have been looking for doctorial meaning "Of or relating to a doctor or doctorate." .. or maybe dichorial meaning "Having two chorions, as the placenta of dizygotic twins." .. who knows ?? ..

WoZ of Aus 23/05/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

is it a word

Post by russcable » Mon May 22, 2006 5:22 pm

dictorial colon relating to an artifical manner of speech comma especially when giving dictation full stop open paren see dictaphone close paren yours truly et cetera et cetera
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

is it a word

Post by Shelley » Mon May 22, 2006 5:54 pm

Dictorial Colon sounds like something I'd want to avoid.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

is it a word

Post by Ed P » Mon May 29, 2006 4:34 pm

Please forgive me, but dictorial sounds like something used to describe the member(in many senses) for Henley Boris J?

google henley boris for overload
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC