what happend to the aboriginals

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Post by Given » Thu May 11, 2006 12:33 pm

hey
i havent been in aussie for long,i live in melbourne and i went to sydney for a week,i saw the aboriginals of Australia for the first time.I saw three of them,if they are the "aboriginls" of Aussie, how come there aren't many left?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu May 11, 2006 1:06 pm

ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu May 11, 2006 1:59 pm

Well you don't see many aboriginals in England any more either. All subsumed by French, Danish, Vikings.

You may note that I dislike the acquisition of "aboriginal" to refer solely to Australian aboriginals. I also find the theft of the word "gay" such a good word, with no real equivalent to be a similarly criminal action.

regards,
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by russcable » Thu May 11, 2006 2:42 pm

The rough estimates are that were 250,000 to 1,000,000 people living in Australia prior to the European invasion. Recent data shows there are about 500,000 of these people(s) living there now. Maybe they're just hard to spot among the 20,000,000 "new" Australians.

Tony, perhaps you should visit a British National Party meeting since its membership is supposedly all "indigenous". Gay used to be such a nice word for homosexual, but now it means stupid, lame, bad. (^_^)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Thu May 11, 2006 4:25 pm

I have to agree with Tony about the theft words. I’m not sure about “gay” though, just when did it start to mean homosexual… hello I feel a thread coming on, I’ll start one after I check to see if it has been covered before.

I also dislike a growing tendency amongst the younger people of neglecting capital letters, punctuation, and spaces after what little punctuation there is. Am I a grumpy old fart do you think?

Incidentally, I dislike being on the same planet as the BNP, let alone the same meeting.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Schuster » Thu May 11, 2006 4:41 pm

russcable wrote: Gay used to be such a nice word for homosexual, but now it means stupid, lame, bad.
I've never read nor heard "gay" used that way.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Shelley » Thu May 11, 2006 5:51 pm

Schuster, that's how some kids in my area (New York) are using it, nowadays.

bobinwales u r sucha gof lol!!!!!! omg didireallysaythat duh heeeellp --
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Thu May 11, 2006 8:35 pm

Just thought I ought to add this comment of clarification for the British.
It is odd isn't it that in Great Britain (not to be confused with The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) we have two countries and principality. One of the countries has two languages of its own and a parliament and its own "National" party. The principality is slightly down market in that it only has one language (which it promotes quite well) and an Assembly and a National party. The largest Kindom has one Language, does not have its own parliament and doen not have its own "national" party or even a National holiday on its own saint's day and everyone uses its language.
Now within this : The White hats go to the Scottish National party and Plaid Cymru, The Black hats got to The British National Party (who don't have a country to call their own). No hats got to either an English National Party or UKIP because they don't exist (in any meaningful sense)

regards
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by gdwdwrkr » Thu May 11, 2006 11:28 pm

On behalf of the British, thanks for clearing that up!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by aka_darrell » Thu May 11, 2006 11:28 pm

"I've never read nor heard "gay" used that way."

Schuster, watch some repeats of South Park, on cable and cheap on DVD, perhaps even at WalMart.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by ozewoz » Sat May 13, 2006 11:43 am

Don't too hung-up there Dudes, in the fullness of time and at the end of the day the usage of words and phrases evolves with the society that engages in their use. Chill. Put it on the back-burner. I have recently joined this forum because I thought we could discuss the evolution and creative use of the English language. I personally don't use the word "gay" to describe homosexual persons, but it is in common use that way (particularly in the USA), so I don't rage against the machine but roll with the flow. ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by ozewoz » Sat May 13, 2006 11:52 am

Back on the original subject. There are plenty of full-blood Aborigines in Australia. Their culture and heritage is treasured by all Australians new or old. There are plenty of fringe activists who promote a cultural antagonism but it is a fabrication. I can walk into any public bar anywhere in Australia and sit down next to anyone from any cultural background and buy him/her a beer and share some camaraderie. The rest of the world may not understand that, but that is what makes Australia unique. Spend a significant amount of time here and you will begin to understand. No matter your origin an Aussie is an Aussie.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by paulwiggins » Mon May 15, 2006 2:46 am

On the linguistic note Aboriginal is nowdays used in newspapers purely in the adjectival sense.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon May 22, 2006 4:15 pm

.. given I am not sure what you mean when you say
i saw the aboriginals of Australia for the first time.I saw three of them,if they are the "aboriginls" of Aussie,
.. my reason is that I am not sure what you were looking for .. many Aboriginal Australians do not look any different to other Aussies that you sat next to on the bus or train or who served you in a shop .. there are suburbs in Sydney, viz Redfern, La Perouse, where there are greater numbers of Aboriginal Australians living .. and yes some do retain the facial features and skin colouring that is traditionally thought of as being Aboriginal but blonde/red/brown haired, blue/green/brown eyed Aboriginal Australians are a part and parcel of this diverse race .. as far as being able to visit an Aboriginal cultural precinct in a capital city I have not run across any in the same way that in say New Zealand you can visit a Maori marae .. the reasons for this are complex and would immediately get you into a maze of opinions depending upon who you were asking .. if you want to meet more visible Aboriginal Australians then I suggest that you travel out to western New South Wales to places like Cobar, Brewarrina or Wilcannia or up the coast to say Karuah were you will find local communities living in smaller towns .. alternatively when you are in a city go to the University and make contact through the Student Union with Aboriginal students studying at University .. what is it that you are looking for ?? ..

WoZ of Aus 23/05/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by b2bcookies » Tue May 30, 2006 4:17 am

ozewoz wrote: Don't too hung-up there Dudes, in the fullness of time and at the end of the day the usage of words and phrases evolves with the society that engages in their use. Chill. Put it on the back-burner. I have recently joined this forum because I thought we could discuss the evolution and creative use of the English language. I personally don't use the word "gay" to describe homosexual persons, but it is in common use that way (particularly in the USA), so I don't rage against the machine but roll with the flow. ;-)
I agree =;)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: A smile is the answer to the youth we truly desire;)