Lanky Words

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

Lanky Words

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:01 am

I was trying to see where my wife and I had strayed from a Public Footpath into an assault course in Healey Dell, Rochdale, yesterday, when I came upon a reference on the Web to an area known as "The Thrutch". Another irresistable diversion - I remember the word from my schooldays.

I haven't found much reference to the place-name, but the verb "to thrutch" turned up in one of Wordwizard's references (A Dictionary of Slang) :
thrutch Verb. To fidget, to be restless. E.g."I got no sleep at all with you thrutching about all night." [Northern use /Dialect?]

and Googling produced this gem: http://www.nyt.co.uk/lancashire.htm which I hope will entertain at least Erik, who long ago showed interest in Northern-English dialect/slang terms. Sorry about the delay. In the "Lanky Word of the Day" section, the primary (!?) meaning of "thrutch" is to "strain excessively on the toilet".

I've chosen the "Miscellaneous" forum to post as "thrutch" and other wonderful words in the above website are hardly standard English - but someone may wish to transfer some content to the "Words..." forum. Then they could have a go at re-signing Healey Dell.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Lanky Words

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:29 pm

About a third of the way down http://www.painterskeys.com/clickbacks/churchill.asp is a photo of Graham Sutherland's portrait of Winston Churchill, which was universally hated. The great man himself complained that it made him look as though he was "straining for a stool". After Winston died, Lady Churchill destroyed it; with this act, according to the same web page, "there was a tremendous public relief".

Now if only Churchill had commented instead that this painting made him appear to be thrutching, he would very likely be enjoying a reputation for pithy eloquence even today.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Lanky Words

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:00 pm

So that's why he lost that election.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Lanky Words

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:05 am

It never helps when the paper is apt to be as hard as one's seat -- not to speak of the floaters.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Lanky Words

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:30 pm

He should have stuck to fighting his wife on the beaches - THAT'S the accepted way to lose an election.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Lanky Words

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:12 pm

Perhaps so; but Clementine was a non-combatant during the Malayan Emergency, and she stayed at home in Britain.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC