regional accents

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

regional accents

Post by allen-uk » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:40 pm

Hello.

Not strictly words, but closely allied. Over the years, I've been fascinated by the different English accents in the USA – in fact, we've only started to hear them in the past decade or so, as prior to that Hollywood flattened nearly everything out.

Has there been any work done on the origins of the accents, and their relationship to past or present accents in the home country? Occasionally here (in England) I will hear a word or phrase that is later echoed on some 'real' TV (Judge Judy, for example, I know, I know, but where else would I hear genuine Oklahoma or Minnesota?)

I haven't got the time and resources to do it myself, so does anyone know of any published (or www) material?

Thanks.

Allen, London.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

regional accents

Post by Phil White » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:19 pm

Allen,

Sorry, been away for a few days.

There has been a lot of work by hundreds of researchers, including the mighty William Labov (Atlas of North American English: Phonetics, Phonology, and Sound Change).

David Crystal's "Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language" has a pretty good introduction to regional variants of American and contains a number of references to other work.

Many of the publications of the American Dialect Society (http://www.americandialect.org/) including the "Dictionary of Regional American English" give extensive coverage.

I'm not sure about any good material regarding the history and relation to parent dialects and accents in the UK. I have only ever picked up odd snippets relating West Country accents and dialect words to modern American (you will still hear "sidewalk" in the West Country, for instance).

Hope it helps.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

regional accents

Post by allen-uk » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:24 am

Thanks Phil. Good places to start, I guess (think).

Allen, London.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

regional accents

Post by paulwiggins » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:23 am

For experts, Macquarie Universtity provides a detailed guide on Australian accents

http://www.ling.mq.edu.au/speech/phonet ... owels.html
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC