*gry / 3 words

If you feel that your question or comment doesn't fit into the categories above, feel free to post it here.

*gry / 3 words

Post by pokoma » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:21 pm

A relative sent me this riddle.

"This is going to make you so MAD! There are three words in the English language that end in "gry". ONE is angry and the other is hungry. EveryONE knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. EveryONE uses them everyday, and if you listened very carefully, I've given you the third word. What is it?"

A web dictionary yielded the word "onegry," meaning a state of being alone and unhappy (one + angry, Webster's New Millenium Dictionary of English). But that doesn't fit all the clues, nor is it funny. A little help here, o Wizards!

pokoma

[h]Posted - 31 Jul 2007 : 07:51:20[/h]There are suppose to be 3 words in the english language that end with the letters --gry is this true?? Angry, Hungry----what is the third ????????? Anyone ?? teal310@aol.com

teal310
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

*gry / 3 words

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:04 pm

Pam, This riddle has been circulating ad nauseam on the internet for a very long time. Ten years ago Micahel Quinion discussed it most thoroughly in his World Wide Words. Seeangry, hungry, ........gry?.

Ken G - March 14, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

*gry / 3 words

Post by minjeff » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:15 pm

I found this website:

http://www.word-detective.com/gry.html

and I tend to agree with the second and third explainations. It probably has more to do with the third word in the sentence or what not. Although, "onegry " is a very,very common word that one uses every day ;-)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Letters go together to make words; words go together to make phrases, and phrases sentences, but only in certain combinations. In others they're just non-sense.

*gry / 3 words

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:38 pm

I looked up "unhungry" and found it doesn't appear in the appended resources. However, "unangry" does.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

*gry / 3 words

Post by chrstna » Mon May 28, 2007 1:19 am

I KNOW THE ANSWER!!!
Think

"Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is."

The answer is "Language." The first two sentences are unrelated to the riddle and only there to throw you off. Thus, the core riddle is "There are only three words in "the English language." What is the third word?"

THE ANSWER IS: language!!! I'm so smart = ) = P
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

*gry / 3 words

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 am

It's how you tell them.
Whoever they are.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

*gry / 3 words

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue May 29, 2007 4:11 pm

They are Scandinavian-bridge-dwellers.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

*gry / 3 words

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Tue May 29, 2007 8:06 pm

Ah, Rickety and Rackety.

Edwin Ashworth

[h]Posted - 31 Jul 2007 : 08:06:00[/h] Buggry.

Erik_Kowal

[h]Posted - 31 Jul 2007 : 12:45:45[/h]Annagry, Badagry, Cogry, Gagry, Wigry and Zygry are placenames. and there is also a Lake Wigry. Kingry and Pingry are surnames.

Aggry pertains to agriculture
Onegry is a feeling of being alone and unhappy
Puggry is a light scarf worn around a hat or a helmet.

Bobinwales
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC